This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] What is wrong with Zorin OS 6?

gingerman431

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32:10 am

Re: Nvidia white-out problem
Postby AZorin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:23 pm

As a result of our research, we have narrowed the source down to Compiz. As Cinnamon uses Gnome Shell as a base (which uses Mutter as the window manager), it lacks the Compiz window manager—which currently has this bug. Although we still have not found a fix for this issue (which is also present in Ubuntu), we can suggest using the Metacity window manager instead of Compiz in Zorin OS to alleviate this bug.
To do so, you will need to log out of your account and select the "Zorin Desktop (Fallback Mode)" option form the session menu (after pressing the "Z" button beside your username). Logging back in should use Zorin Desktop with the Metacity window manager (with compositing enabled, however without the lavish desktop effects), thus alleviating the Nvidia white-out bug.

I read the following in the Zorin OS 6 Synaptic Package Manager.

The Synaptic Package Manager says,

Avant-window-navigator (Awn) is a MacOS X like panel for the GNOME Desktop
written in C. In addition to launchers that can be dragged onto the bar,
it features a taskbar that behaves similarly to the Mac OSX dock. The window
navigator uses the composite extension for transparency and other effects.

and,

awn-settings provides a simple way to configure avant-window-navigator.
You can manage preferences, themes, applets and launchers.

So, what is wrong with Zorin OS 6? :(

gingerman431

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:43:49 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Please try to avoid double posting! What is your problem with Zorin 6? I have an old nVidia Graphics card, using nouveau (Linux drivers) AWN on Win7 look and have no issues - what is your problem? Remember that Zorin is based on 12.04 so it's repositories/software center is based on the same as Perfect Pangolin. The only 'proprietary' software of Zorin is:

1. Look changer
2. Web Browser manager
3. Background Plus
4. Plymouth Splash Screen manager

Don't get annoyed swarfendor437, I didn't ask you, but asked A Zorin yesterday in the evening, but never got a reply. I haven't asked anything about the 4 things you mention, did I? I asked exactly as below.
------------------------------------------------------

No, I don't think it is a Compiz problem. Cinnamon doesn't use Compiz, but has 3D effects, but not wobbly or something. Lacking Compiz manager is not a great problem, some don't even want effects.

I am using NVidia and Linux Mint Cinnamon works very well and Zorin 6 too works very well without any kind of white-out bug. My laptop is 2 years old.

It is understood that Zorin Desktop uses Compiz as the Window Manager and the fallback uses Metacity, but Metacity can be used with Compiz for all kinds of effects. Gnome Classic uses Metacity and Compiz works very well with it.

There must be something else wrong. :(
--------------------------------------
Isn't that a very simple question?

PLEASE DON'T THINK THIS IS DOUBLE POSTING, OKAY?

IF you can reply for A Zorin, that's okay by me.

gingerman431

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:26:27 pm

[/quote]I am not getting annoyed - just explaining that Zorin uses exactly the same repositories as Ubuntu 12.04 on which it is built! Keep calm, Make some tea, eat some biscuits! :D[/quote]

Don't worry, swarfendor437, I thought you got annoyed. Of course, I'm going to have beer and pick that Awn and gnomenu bit by bit. I am really calm, when there is a problem to solve. See ya later! :)

gingerman431

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:38:08 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi gingerman431, Glad to hear it! :D

I should have clarified about the 4 things I stated, basically, Zorin is 12.04, it just has a different skin! So synaptic package manager in Zorin is basically the same as 12.04! Hope that makes things a bit clearer!

Ha, ha! It just has a different skin, you say? Okay, see ya later! :)

Wolfman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:14:05 pm

Hi,

have you tried adding the webupd8 PPA for different themes??, its about halway down the guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

gingerman431

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:24:03 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

have you tried adding the webupd8 PPA for different themes??, its about halway down the guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Wolfman, you are talking about GTK themes, Window themes, but I am talking about Awn Setting themes. Anyway, I have to go now.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:25:21 pm

Hi gingerman,

my thinking behind the adding of the PPA was that it may also download something that is missing for the theming for AWN. It is a longshot I know; but worth a try!!.

gingerman431

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:03:55 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Also see my last posting here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2720&start=10#p12425

Excellent! You have done it and I have done it. I uninstalled the Awn panel, Gnomenu and re-installed them, so now I have both of them, without any restrictions or modifications. With the original modified Zorin Awn panel, I couldn't get rid of any applets, which were fixed there. No headaches now. :)

gingerman431

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:33:30 pm

bkotter wrote:Gingerman, check my last post. You'd find the answer to your woes. :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2720&start=10

Thanks!!! :)