This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation doesn't detect keyboard

TheReaperrr

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:20:37 pm

When I'm installing the Zorin OS 6, there's the part where you must enter name etc., and when I try to type something, nothing appears. Same happened in keyboard configurating part just before that. How can I fix this?

TheReaperrr

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:59:42 pm

Its a laptop.

TheReaperrr

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:52:24 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I'm wondering if it is pae related:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/930447

It doesnt give any errors though. Its a Acer AS5253 I think.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:17:00 pm

Hi,

what language are you trying to install in??. (It has happened that the keyboard defaults to "Chinese")

Regards Wolfman :D

TheReaperrr

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:14:12 pm

I'm from Finland, so I'm trying to use finnish. Yes, at the bar where are network settings, shutdown button etc. is the option kinda menu (I can't remember what its called). In the input menu, it says "Chinese". Is that's why it wont work?

Wolfman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:33:18 pm

Hi,

yes that is the reason, do your initial install in English then add Finnish and check the keyboard layout after, don't immediately remove English but push Finnish to the top of the list in the language settings menu and apply system wide, before restarting your PC, double check your keyboard layout in system settings, add Finnish if necessary and delete Chinese.

TheReaperrr

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:01:00 pm

It works now. Thank you two. But when the computer starts, it automaticly starts up the Windows 7, without asking about Zorin. Also when I installed it, it said "Install besides other operating systems" (Or whatever it ways in english, I used finnish again). So I'm currently having Windows 7, Zorin 6 and halfway installed Zoring 6 (the time it didn't detect keyboard). So here are two new problems.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:54:09 pm

Hi,

I would say that you only have a half installed system, I woud start again from scratch if I were you, take a look at this partitioning guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

TheReaperrr

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:31:36 am

Thank you, but I just have to boot the usb and instead of asking about installing, it starts Zorin. But how can I delete the not-fully-installed Zorin? It uses alot memory.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00:43 pm

Hi,

you can use Gparted to erase the not fully installed version of Zorin, does it also show up in the Grub menu when you start your PC??. Boot the installed version of Zorin and use Gparted to erase the partitions and once done, open a terminal and run this command:

(Make sure you know which of the partitions you want to delete are indeed the correct ones!!!.)

sudo update-grub

Then restart your PC, it should offer you only 1 version of Linux and Windows!!.