This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Found x Results List Blank

Muzzargh

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41:38 am

Hi Guys,

When I do a search after pressing the start bubble I get a "Found x results to your search" but the list is blank. This usually c***s out when pressing the 2nd letter (eg if I search for Synaptic I press the S and get 53 results (which I can see), then I press the Y and get 5 results (which I can't see)).

Regards,

Murray

madvinegar

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:40:51 am

Hi.
I believe this is a bug of the zorin awn dock in relation with the GPU card, especially the nvdia cards. (Do you have an nvidia card?)
Try the following just to check if actually this is the problem.

Log out, press the "Z" button and select "zorin desktop in fallback mode". This will log you on your desktop without the 3D effects.
Try the search option and see if you get better results.

You can log back to your full 3D effects if you log out again, press the "Z" button and select "Zorin desktop".

Edit: Nevermind the above. Tried it myself without any result.

Have you fully updated your system?

Muzzargh

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:02:09 pm

Yes, fully updated a few times just to make sure. I also have an issue where everything on the screen disappears except the background and the three standard icons. Any windows I have open eventually come back and they seem to work ok(ish) except you can't close them, the minimise, maximise and close buttons are missing. The windows also jump around the screen a few times as well. If I log off and on again all is well for a while then it all happens again.

I'll check my system specs tonight (I'm in New Zealand so that will be about 10 hours from now) :D

madvinegar

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:53:27 am

What is your GPU? Have you gone to additional drivers to see if there are any recomended drivers to be enabled for your card?

Also, further to my above post, try switching to zorin desktop fallback mode and test if all the glitches you mention above keep appearing.

Muzzargh

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:15:19 am

I'm not into gaming so have a very basic system:

P4 2.6ghx x 2
Intel 865Gx86/MMX/SSE2 onboard graphics

I'll try the fall back now

Muzzargh

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:30:00 am

Fallback mode makes no difference :|

Muzzargh

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58:50 am

OK, it made no difference to the search but the screen has stopped all the other nonsense :)

madvinegar

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:49:23 am

Muzzargh wrote:OK, it made no difference to the search but the screen has stopped all the other nonsense :)

This is why I proposed it. (not for the search-problem).

The search problem mightt be somekind of a bug of the awn panel. I have it too.

Muzzargh

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:48:46 pm

Is there an alternative to the awn panel?

And now Naulilus keeps crashing, something about no password login?

Muzzargh

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36:58 pm

This is just a 'user' account? It seems to be ok when I log in with the 'admin' account.

Is it possible to downgrade an account? I have set up my account (email, desktop etc) and I have used the admin account (which I now know is a bad thing). So can I turn it into a 'normal' user account?

Muzzargh

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:30:05 pm

Cheers, I'll give that a go. Will I have to create another 'admin' account or can I administer the PC another way?

Wolfman

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:23:48 pm

Hi,

for temp access to root for Nautilus use:

(Press Alt + F2)

gksudo nautilus

If you want full control over users and groups, put this command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

then open "Users and Groups" from the menu and set your user settings.

Regards Wolfman :D

Muzzargh

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:18:37 pm

Cheers for the help guys, I just created a new, disabled, admin account, that seems to work OK :-)

Apart from the little glitches, Zorin is great!!! Long live Zorin! (and Wolfman, Swarfendor437 and Madvinegar) :-)

Muzzargh

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:38:24 am

Looks like the latest updates have resolved this issue, the search works as it should now :-)

Muzzargh

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:58:33 pm

I found that if I typed the search slow, like type a 'B' and the list gets filtered if I then type an 'r' the results are 5 but the list is blank. If I typed "Br" before the list has a chance to filter it seems to work as expected. It's like it can only do 1 refresh of the list?

Wolfman

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:45:21 am

Hi,

I have found that typing more than the first two letters screws it up, I honestly don't have an answer for you apart from typing no more than 2 letters of the keyword!!. :oops:

Sorry I cannot be of more help, I don't know what's causing it!!.

Regards Wolfman :D