This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem with Openshot and Kdenlive

MrNovi

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12:19 pm

I installed Xorin 6 (the free version, not the paid for version, and not the LITE version) and am running into a serious problem. After I fixed the problem of Blender not being included which essentially renders Openshot Brain Dead (a SERIOUS ommision on the developers part) installing Kdenlive automatically un-installs Openshot, something I've never run into on ANY other Linux distro. If I attempt to install Openshot again, it un-installs Kdenlive. What the heck did the developer do to cause this problem and how do I go about correcting this?

Wolfman

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07:58 am

Hi,

try installing the package "kde-full", this should add full KDE support to your system and hopefully stop the silly message!!.

sudo apt-get install kde-full

Make sure that you don't choose "kdm" as default system when installing this package, choose "ldm" or "gdm" only.

Regards Wolfman :D

MrNovi

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:49:51 pm

There must be a better way than that to fix this. That command wants to download over a gigs worth of files, something I really don't want to do with the slow internet connection I have to deal with, especially if it isn't a certainty that it will indeed solve the problem. I thought Zorin was supposed to be ready to go right out of the box? I've never had this sort of problem installing Openshot and Kdenlive on ANY other Linux Distro (including other 'Buntu based distros like Pinguy) over the years and can't understand why Zorin requires it. If it does require that to fix the problem I'll go elsewhere. I was only installing Zorin to ease the transition of other users at the church who have only used Windows. They'll just have to deal with a standard Gnome 2 desktop or spring for a Windows video editor.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:53:55 am

Hi,

if you don't want to install kde-full, try right clicking the respective packages in Synaptic and mark them for re-installation, also with a right click; check for suggested and recommended packages to install!!.

Also, run "dpkg" from the recovery menu:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

(The third option in the Broken Packages section of the guide)

MrNovi

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:20:57 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:To be honest I have never been able to get KDEnlive to run properly. Openshot is very easy to use, and my preferred video editor. Another one to look at is LIVES! which I have used on UE 2.9

You are the first person I've run across to express that opinion. Everyone else has the exact opposite feelings about it and can't understand why I bother with Openshot at all. Openshot is way too limited in what it can do. About the only thing I use it for is the 3D Titles. Kdenlive is is much easier to actually edit with, renders faster, crashes less, has a lot more features, enables plugins, and is much less complicated for inserting captions. What we will be doing on this system is take an audio song track, insert some video or images, then add the lyrics using the titling to create worship vids to display to the congregation during services. For that it takes me 5 to 10 times as long in Openshot as it does in Kdenlive.

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

if you don't want to install kde-full, try right clicking the respective packages in Synaptic and mark them for re-installation, also with a right click; check for suggested and recommended packages to install!!.

Also, run "dpkg" from the recovery menu:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

(The third option in the Broken Packages section of the guide)

Zorin 6 is the only Linux distro that I've ever had a problem running Kdenlive in, and then only because it won't allow both to be installed at the same time. I never had this problem with Zorin 3.x or 5.x or any other 'Buntu based distro. But the extreme steps to get both working and the still unresolved issue with mouse scrolling just makes it too much hassle to continue on with trying to fix all of the problems with a distro that the developer claims to be more user friendly and ready to go out of the box, neither of which appear to be accurate statements.

If they get things straightened out in the next release I'll give that a try to see how well it works, but for now I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

And a heads up for the next release. If you are going to stick with Openshot in the base install, do everyone a HUGE favor and include Inkscape and Blender so that Openshot is actually usable. It does no one any good to leave them out as it greatly reduces the usability of Zorin as a live cd. The other option would be to go with Kdenlive in the base install instead of Openshot. Either option would be infinitely better than the current base install.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:55:42 pm

Hi,

did you try any of the suggestions provided, have you run "fsck" to see if its your drive causing the problem, did you try "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", or "dpkg" ?????.

MrNovi

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31:22 pm

It isn't a drive problem. I've checked that.

Sudo apt-get dist-upgrade wants to download over a gig of files, and I simply don't have a fast enough connection for that. It would take over 12 hours to download that much and there is no assurance that will fix the problem. There are other people who share the connection here and I simply can't tie it up that long.

dpkg did/found nothing.

Like I said, it's only Zorin 6 that has this much of a problem. I've re-installed twice already, and tried it on four different systems, all with the same results. I have downloaded three different iso's (went to a library with a faster internet connection to do that), and all three give the same results. I've tried burning to DVD-R and DVD+R disks (high quality Verbatums with the Azo dye so the disks are not a problem) as well as from a USB stick. Same problem. That leads me to believe that the problem is with Zorin 6 itself, not on my end. Zorin 5.x and 3.x don't have this problem, just Zorin 6.

What it's boiling down to is I simply don't have the time or internet connectoin to keep messing with this. It's a desktop so taking it somewhere that has a fast enough connection to download gigabytes worth of files that may or may not fix the problem isn't an option. I need to get this system up and running today. I can install any other distro I want and be up and running in a couple of hours, which at this point is my only viable solution. The only reason I even considered Zorin was the WIndows 7/XP look alike desktop, something that isn't important enough to sacrifice the reliability, overall functionality, and dependability. that other distros can provide. Zorin is advertised as "a multi-functional operating system designed specifically for Windows users who want to have easy and smooth access to Linux" which I'm finding to be anything but accurate. Zorin 5.x and 3.x were much better than 6, but I'm not going to go to the trouble of installing and configuring something that won't be supported much longer and will require starting over in a few months. If I was willing to do that I would install Pinguy 11.04.1 and be up and running in an hour or so (I have a Remastered version from my personal install that I could use that has all of the software already included, configured, and fully functional).

Sorry, but I have better things to do with my time. I've wasted a week on this already. It's time to cut my losses and move on to something that actually works, Debian is less hassle than this.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:51:15 pm

Hi,

sorry it is not working out for you, perhaps your best alternative is indeed to try a different distro, I don't really know what else to suggest.

MrNovi

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39:11 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:It would appear that the packages you require are available in the multimedia 'Premium' version:

http://www.zorin-os.com/premium.html

That's what I find so frustrating. If it works in the premium version that you have to pay for, why doesn't it work in the free version? Is it just a ply to try to trick people into buying the premium version so he can make more money? And even if it did work, I don't have time to download and install it today, and that is all of the time I have to finish this project. The system goes live tomorrow morning with or without a Linux distro.

And why would I want to spend money on the premium version when I have no assurance that it will actually work any better than the free one does? Sorry, but there is no way I would ever spend money for the premium version when the free one doesn't work as advertised.