This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Mac OSX missing in look changer.

Varada

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:16:49 pm

Hi Team

I installed Zorin 64 bit yesterday in Asus Laptop. Everything works out of box(which should be as I have Ubuntu running previously in this machine without any issues)

My main motto to switch to Zorin is quick look changer that suites my mood especially Mac L&F. However in the look changer I have only Win 7,XP and Gnome look.

Can someone please suggest me a way to have Mac OSX L&F?

Thanks in Advance.

gingerman431

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:04:31 am

Hi Varada,
You could change the Dock Preferences (Awn Settings) to 3D and you'd have a middle dock, but you'd have a problem with gray rectangular applet. If you know how to play with Awn settings, you'd know how to add or delete an applet. You can always right click on any open window in the Awn panel and pin it there. The magic lamp action of Compiz works just like Mac OSX. If you are adventurous, you can always install Cairo dock and you'd have your Mac OSX permanently.
Have a good day! :)

Varada

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:48:45 am

Thanks much for your suggestion, sure will try it. Pearlinux seems interesting very neat look, have to try it.

That said, congrats Zorin team, its fantastic experience so far.

Varada

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:55:06 am

Just checked the Ultimate edition it is 10euro I think I can buy it, but is it a life time or yearly subscription? like myeclipseide?

Wolfman

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:48:58 am

Hi,

the donation is per version you download and burn basically, so you would donate 10€ for Zorin 6 Ultimate then a further 10€ for version 7 and so on!.

Regards Wolfman :D

gingerman431

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:58:55 am

Hi Wolfman,

What does Zorin 6 Ultimate have extra? Does it have any special programs?

Regards Gingerman

Wolfman

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:29:46 am

Hi Gingerman,

Ultimate has several apps installed that aren't in the normal versions of ZorinOS, Amarok, Banking Software, Jokosher Audio Editor, you would still have to install codecs etc using the Medibuntu repo.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1852

I would also recommend you use the "Getdeb" repo:

http://www.getdeb.net/welcome/

gingerman431

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:33:12 pm

Hi Wolfman,

I am not interested in banking software, but they are available in the Internet, that is, if they are free software, they are just a click away. Well, few clicks away. To install Amorak, all you have to do is sudo apt-get install amarok. The only useless matter is that it would pull in lot of KDE stuff, which are not needed at all.

By the way, Wolfman, have you checked TheeMahn's Ultimate Editon 3.4? The amount of applications he had packed there is unbelievable for a 3GB download. TheeMahn likes dark colours, but I like lighter ones, so I immediately change window/GTK-3 themes, fonts, etc and also uninstall many applications I don't need. TheeMahn gives all kind of utility applications too, so we can change the Plymouth splash, and even the UE name.

Anything interesting than what we can't find in the Internet in Zorin Ultimate?

Regards! :)

Wolfman

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:40:34 pm

Hi GM,

yes I did try it but found it somewhat bloated and some of the themes wouldn't display correctly/and or I just didn't like them!!.

If you spend so much time stripping down (I assume thats what you are doing) an OS, why don't you start with a basic version and add what you want, that way it won't be bloated!!.

Zorin 5 is still my all time fav, sadly the Gnome devs have screwed up big time with G3!!.

Building your own system just using a base can be fun and beneficial.

gingerman431

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:50:37 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi GM,

yes I did try it but found it somewhat bloated and some of the themes wouldn't display correctly/and or I just didn't like them!!.

If you spend so much time stripping down (I assume thats what you are doing) an OS, why don't you start with a basic version and add what you want, that way it won't be bloated!!.

Zorin 5 is still my all time fav, sadly the Gnome devs have screwed up big time with G3!!.

Building your own system just using a base can be fun and beneficial.

Hi Wolfman,

Yes, you are right. UE 3.4 is bloated and one gets tired of uninstalling all the unneccessary apps. Yes, it is better to take the mini.iso and add up what I want. Then, I won't be in need of any other distro. True enough, Zorin 5 was better than Zorin 6. I wish Artyom would do something different like the Android OS desktop environment, rather than these Windows' looks. His idea of mocking up Unity was good. I saw similar DE in a distro done by a 15 year old boy from Spain. It is called the Asturix 4.

Have you seen Hybryde? It has a GUI to change to 9 DEs without logging out.

Regards!

GM
(I like my new name) :)

Wolfman

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:45:32 am

Hi GM,

tried Austrix but it wouldn't run (bad burn/ISO ??) on my PC, this was ages ago, haven't tried Hybryde.

Will lock this topic now as it is way "Off Topic" anyway, if you want to continue talking about other OS'es, please post in the "Off Topic" section where there are already threads running, thanks!!.