This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ref: NVIDA _Zorin os 6

Anonymous

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:04:02 am

When installing the new Zorin Os. After installing go to synaptic package manager fix, update,upgrade broken packages. When installing the Nvida drivers on desktops only.. Stay away at all possible from the new current drivers and use
the post-update-current in which is ver. nvida 295.49. Also don't use the 295.40 ver...it will hurt you . I ran several test on desktops I have sitting around with both AMD and NVIDA installed. I ran into almost exactly the same problems.
I did this process with Zorin os 6 core/premo and also did a couple of installs with the mint cinnamon version and came close to the same thing on installs. In conclusion cinnamon isn't perfect but their is always a way around doing something. I have Zorin Os 6 Ultimate on a 6x Amd Asus and it purs like a sewing machine. Your going to have a little trouble with Cinnamon, but not enough you can't enjoy this new distro. And when your configuring more than one display... Do not use use (Seperate X screen). Use (twin view) apply and save settings. I ran these test on 5 different name brand computers, with AMD installed good luck with that one. And with either Geforce 210, GT-240 and higher with the ver. 295.40 driver and the 302/04 new versions. And the winner is Nvida 295.49. For some reason the new nvida driver and cinnamon desktop do not get along to well at the moment. The new drivers with AMD and NViDA have almost the same problem=white out... Take my word for it and stick with the driver I talked about above and you'll be good to go. And remember what ever you do... Do not use the update manager itself the first time around. Use the synaptic package manager. Note: This is based on the average on the user. And when you go out shopping for a new graphics card. Do your research based on what you already have running on your PC, before buying. And remember if you don't have the right power supply output/ memory for the video card don't even bother. Never go for the minimum power supply rating for the video card. Example: If the video card calls for a minimum of a 350 watts of power. Your computer should have double the power output needed for that card. The average computer has enough power for these video cards to work( that's all) . People forget the optical drives, the sound card ect. So if you don't have enough juice for the graphics. Your not going to have good results. So all in all make sure your hardware is set up right before you go tinker with distro's like Zorin Os 6.

The credit goes to Wolfman for reminding me about this:

Update to the above thread, Use the new current driver to this date November 2012>>> Nvidia 304.64 Ect.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:32:02 am

Hi datek1,

so basically you are saying that people should install version nvida 295.49 and nothing else!!. I have an Nvidia GT430 and will try this out.

Thanks for the heads up assuming it works like you say!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:39:37 am

Hi,

it didn't work for me, I even installed "boinc-nvidia-cuda" hoping that would help but it didn't stop the blanking, I suspect it is still to do with how the themes are modded in Zorin6, oh well, perhaps someone who is more savvy than me can work it out.

Anonymous

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:24:52 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

it didn't work for me, I even installed "boinc-nvidia-cuda" hoping that would help but it didn't stop the blanking, I suspect it is still to do with how the themes are modded in Zorin6, oh well, perhaps someone who is more savvy than me can work it out.

I ran these test based on the average user like myself. Most of the customers that come to with their problems. Run a 200 series or jump to the 500 series NVIDA card if they have a bigger budget. And basically what happened in detail when I used the new drivers system tools/administration panel disappeared. When I removed the driver the panel came back. I'm not a programmer, but I'm pretty good at tinkering with things in figuring out why and how. I have a GT-430 sitting up some where. If I get time I'll tinker with it and see what happens. The Gt-430 is a odd ball of the GT-230 . When you get into these kind of graphics cards you are referring to. You are asking for trouble. Those kinds of graphics cards in reference are designed/development for the Windows OS. Because that's where the money is. When you have a card that has been out for a while AMD or NVIDA it doesn't matter., the developers will sooner or later get to us.
The problem is these poor folks go out and buy these high cards and think they are going to work fine on any OS. Well that's not the case. Another thing is they try running a high end card with no power or memory and expect a miracle to happen. I went over to my shop and looked up the specs on that card in ref. In theory it will work with the 295.49 driver. But at the moment cinnamon is in the same category as Windows Vista was in the day. I would only recommend one of the deversified graphics card that is popular amonst the people. For good results to happen.