This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

The bottom task bar is unavailable now, help

chj915

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:25:52 am

I recently notice my Zorin OS task bar at the bottom of the screen becomes unavailable.
Please see the attached image for details.
It says the Applet crashed, and click to restart.
But clicking on the task bar doesn't fix anything.

I don't recall that I have done anything to cause this problem. It was running ok a couple days ago.

madvinegar

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:38:43 am

Try opening look changer, change to gnome look, log out-login, and then open again look-changer, change back to win7 look, logout-login.

To open look-changer press alt+F2, and write look-changer in the field and press <enter>.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:11:38 am

Hi,

have you fully updated your system:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

chj915

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:18:33 pm

Thanks for your contribution, but the look-changer does not fix the problem.
I did picked Windows XP and then change back to Windows 7, logout and login, but still have the same issue with the task bar.

I ran the command "sudo apt-get update" to update my system fully, as I did a couple days ago already.

However, here is the screen, and still no idea how to move on to fix the problem.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46:10 pm

Hi,

to update your system fully, use the following commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-get update

then run:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Or both together: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The first command will update your package list, the second command will update the packages and any missing dependencies ; if there are new versions available.

sudo apt-get update will only update the software sources list; not the system!!.

iceraen

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:40:58 pm

Try opening look changer, change to gnome look, log out-login, and then open again look-changer, change back to win7 look, logout-login.

To open look-changer press alt+F2, and write look-changer in the field and press <enter>.

success i brought back my taskbar with Gnome, but with windows 7 and XP are still missing, what important to me is just i can access my others apps mostly apps from windows, more thanks...

Wolfman

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:08:02 am

Hi,

did you check out the post install guide, there is a section covering the AWN panel?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

jojothehobo

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:15:31 pm

I saw a similar problem a while ago. It was due to a kernel upgrade not accompanied by a system upgrade. What I did to solve it was to use Synaptic to remove the latest kernel upgrade or three. Then I rebooted and , voila!, the bottom task bar was there. Then you have to either not install further kernel upgrades or let them install and remove them if they give problems. That worked for me.

All the best
Jojo