This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Blackscreen > force-logout problem.

KeepBotting

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50:22 pm

Hello Zorin community,
I am relatively new to Linux and extremely new to Zorin.
I really like the OS, but I do have one major gripe.
This problem happens all the time, usually around five minutes to three hours after I log in.

The screen will go completely black (as if the monitor is shut off), then it will turn a lighter black (as if it's a screensaver) then the display will re-appear, but I'll be logged out!
I type in my password and I log in again, but all of my open windows have been closed--just as if I physically went to Power > Logout.

I've heard something about NVIDIA graphics cards being incompatible with Zorin which might be what is causing my screen to flicker.

But I have no clue why it's force-logging me!

Any help?

Wolfman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46:01 am

Hi,

did you deactivate the lock screen function via the System Settings > Personal > Brightness and Lock.

Have you tried disabling "Blank Screen" with:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2529

Did you install the graphic card drivers in System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers.

Have you fully updated your system:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

KeepBotting

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26:29 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

did you deactivate the lock screen function via the System Settings > Personal > Brightness and Lock.

Have you tried disabling "Blank Screen" with:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2529

Did you install the graphic card drivers in System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers.

Have you fully updated your system:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D
I have done the first step, but not the other two. I will attempt them, and get back to you. Thanks.
I had to remove Zorin as stability is critical in the type of work that I do, but I'm going to dual-boot it and Windows 7.