This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wireless routers. Which to use?

flyboy129

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:05:52 am

Basically, just as the title says. Which one(s) work best for you? I have Zorin 6 and Mint 13, both Ubuntu 12.04 based, on my desktop. It will be a wired connection to whichever router I get. The biggie, is my wife's laptop. (Toshiba Satellite) Currently it is running XP. The factory wireless driver no longer works. It is using an Airlink 101 usb adapter. (Not sure of the model, but will have to check). It is highly probable in the future it will also have Linux installed on it.(Will remove windows when I do go that route). The hard drive is only around 25-30GB, so I dunno if Zorin or Mint will work okay or not. Anyway, I need a router whose firmware is supported in Linux. Open to suggestions. What do you guys and girls recommend? By the way, I am using Charter high speed if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:14:44 pm

Hi flyboy,

it is not the router you need to worry about but the Wireless device you are using!!.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB

http://www.linux-drivers.org/network.html

Make sure that your device is supported if you plan on buying a USB Wifi stick!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

flyboy129

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:48:38 pm

Interesting. I have a D-link DI 514 that I cannot get to work. I can use my wife's laptop via a cable and access it using 192.168.0.1, and change the settings, but it still will not let me connect either wired or wirelessly even though the laptop can see the signal. I have reset the router, but it will not let either computer through. I guess I'm still not getting a setting correct.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00:13 pm

flyboy129

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30:19 am

Okay. Thanks. Like I posted. I believe my problem lies within the setup configuration of the router. It was given to me. I did the reset and tried setting it up, but believe I got carried away and screwed things up. :? I found a page on charter internet that explains how to do a setup with a router to their modem, so am going to reset the router again, then try that and see what happens. As of right now, even the default unprotected setup blocks any computer from receiving incoming data either wired or wirelessly even though the connectivity icon shows connected. Will post an update.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00:42 pm

Hi,

even if you don't have direct internet access, your network icon will still show a healthy connection......but only as far as the router, if you haven't put your internet access data in the router via its setup manager including your username and password for your internet service provider (ISP), you will never get on the internet.

Your router should have an access password which is normally on the back or underneath of the router including your Wifi password. (It could also be in the manual!)

Open a web browser and type the IP address of your router to access its manager, for example to get into a German Telekom router: 192.168.2.1 is what I would enter in the address bar of the web browser.

Regards Wolfman :D