This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin hangs on using Force close

razedafear

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:23:39 pm

Hi

I have added "force close" to the gnome classic panel but once i hit the icon, the force close dialog box is displayed with the cursor as plus sign, and thats when the desktop gets hanged and i have to force reboot the laptop. tried removing and adding back again from "add to panel" but still same.

Any help?

Thanks
Mark

Wolfman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:31:31 pm

Hi Mark,

remove the icon with:

Alt + Super > right click over icon you want to delete then on "Remove".

Force quit is not available for Ubuntu 12.04 unless you are using Unity as far as I know!!. (There is a script but it doesn't specify Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome 2 fallback mode)

I would recommend using "System Monitor" and use the "End Process" if and when necessary, just add the system monitor icon to the panel.

Regards Wolfman :D

Edit, Swarf posted as I was typing!!!!!!.

razedafear

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:45:48 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:This article on killing processes might assist:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... _processes

If not madvinegar then Wolfman?

SOLVED
Thanks swarf... found this one helpful from the above post:

"f you just want to kill an inactive window without having to dig up a PID or running a bloated GUI, there's an option called xkill. Just open a terminal, and type xkill. Click on a window, and it will be killed (right-click to cancel). "

Hope the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+T works when the sys hangs. rest this one should do.

Kudos
Mark

razedafear

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:52:11 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Mark,

remove the icon with:

Alt + Super > right click over icon you want to delete then on "Remove".

Force quit is not available for Ubuntu 12.04 unless you are using Unity as far as I know!!. (There is a script but it doesn't specify Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome 2 fallback mode)

I would recommend using "System Monitor" and use the "End Process" if and when necessary, just add the system monitor icon to the panel.

Edit, Swarf posted as I was typing!!!!!!.

Hey wolf

That was a quick one by swarf... a shortcut key looks feasible to kill...i get a feel of the killer too... :)

Thanks for the prompt replies, one of the best and prompt resolutions i must say among my some of my fav forums,(pinguy and zorin). Which reminds me of that we might have interacted on pinguy forums (wolfman member) when i tested pinguy few months back..??

Keep up the good work. LONG LIVE LINUX

MArk

Wolfman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:35:30 pm

C'est possible Mark as I have been a member of the PinguyOS forum for some time now!!.

Swarfs recommendation is also very cool!!.