This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

TRYING TO INSTALL A DIFFERENT OS BUT UNETBOOTIN WO'N'T WORK

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:31:33 am

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO INSTALL VISTA, ZORIN CORE 6, WINDOWS 8, AND UNETBOOTIN WONT WORK PROPERLY. UNETBOOTIN INSTALLS THE OS ON THE USB BUT WONT LOAD IT IN THE BOOT MENU. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

madvinegar

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:37:17 am

First of all, did you change from the BIOS settings the boot order so as to boot from USB? To do that you press repeatedly F2 or Del (or F12 if your Bios supports a mini boot menu) and you select USB as your first boot item.

As regards the linux distros you could also try universal usb installer : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

If your Bios does not support booting from USB, check out my guide here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2113

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:56:20 am

I'm able to boot from the boot in menu but when it says to choose a boot option there is only the default optioin and nothing happens the time just resets its self to 10.
the only reason I want to change oses is because I can't use all the programs I have. other than that zorin is an perfect os for me.
is there another bootloader i could use instead of unetbootin?

Wolfman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:01:53 am

madvinegar

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:03:32 am

Just to make 1-2 things clear.

When you say "boot menu" you mean the BIOS boot menu (i.e. boot from Hard Disk, CD/DVD, USB etc) or the Zorn Boot menu (boot to live desktop, start installed directly etc).

Are you sure that your BIOS supports booting from USB?

In my post above I gave you two links.
The first link is for an alternative software to prepare the live USB.
The second link is a guide I have prepared in case your BIOS does not support booting from USB.

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41:29 am

I'm referring to both. The system boot menu works fine, but the zorin boot menu its blank.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:01:53 pm

Hi,

have you tried redoing the USB stick using the other links provided??.

Regards Wolfman :D

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47:44 pm

live usb froze on my computer. it showed up with errors as well.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:31:19 am

Hi,

what are the specs of the PC you are trying to install to??.

Did you manage to install Windows 8??.

Have you Actually created a bootable OS from the ISO image file and not just copied the downloaded ISO to the USB stick??.

Please don't be offended by the questions above, we need to establish where the problem lies!!.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00:31 am

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootParameters

The part about "Boot Parameters".

Dijinn7

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:22:56 am

The copies I have are install the boot parameters as it installs the os but when I try to boot from usb, everything goes wrong and it won't install.

Wolfman

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:10:25 am

Hi,

somehow you need to check out whether the USB stick is working okay, can you try it on a different PC and see, it may be that the stick is defective??!!.

Did you try downloading a fresh ISO and start from the beginning, it may be that the ISO was corrupted during download!!??.

Dijinn7

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:32:22 pm

i've downloaded the installer you provided but now it ca't find my usb card. the card i have is an sdcard it showed up with unetbootin but won't show up with the other bootloaders. what should i do?

hp mini 2133
320gb hdd
multi-card reader
built-in bluetooth and wifi

Wolfman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40:56 am

Hi,

is there an arrow (drop down menu) where you need to select the drive and this is why it cannot find the drive, you need to check and see what drives it offers you for installation.

Have you also tried:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Dijinn7

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:27:28 am

It offers c and z drives when I click show all drives

Wolfman

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:03:05 pm

Hi,

I assume that you tried "Z" dirve as "C" would be your Windows drive, have you got anywhere yet??.

Dijinn7

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:35:57 pm

No luck what so eve. What should I do note?

Dijinn7

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:47:46 pm

The hdd was a new one, but also the safe one you helped new fox my wifi and bluetooth on. From the home menu I would choose drive Z:/the start the process. 25% into the convertion the program says "error drive won't be useable. Incomplete etc....."
Unetbootin can dobbs my sdcard but the others can't.