This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Fixing slow boot

razedafear

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:31:10 pm

Hi

I have been noticing that the zorin takes a bit more longer to boot than other precise distros. To be more specific, when during the boot, the two nested circles keep rotating, it takes a bit longer there and also after i enter the password till the desktop icon appears. I have followed and tweaked as per this thread [url]viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2425[/url]

Is there any other tweak available to cut down the boot time?

If it matters here is my config:

i7 Quad Core, 2630QM, 8GBDDR3, 500GB, Intel HD3000

Thanks
Mark

Wolfman

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:58:06 am

Hi Mark,

can you post that link again as I cannot tell what it is, thanks.

I don't really know what else you can do to make it boot faster, your specs are okay so I don't really know whats slowing it down, you can try running "fsck" from the recovery menu as it might be the drive but I honestly don't know.

I assume your system is all up-to-date as there are new updates for the kernel if you haven't done any in the last week!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:01:39 am

First of all you could try automatic login so as to save some time from there.

Secondly you could hide the grub menu and eliminate the 10 seconds of waiting time. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2425

Thirdly you could try something like this (I have not tried it myself, I read about it in ubuntu forums).

Open terminal and write:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/init.d/rc

Find the line (I think its line 33) that says
Code:
CONCURRENCY=none

and change it to:
Code:
CONCURRENCY=shell

Save, exit and try again.

Or try this:
Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf

and at the end of the file add the line
Code:
vm.swappiness=10

razedafear

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:18:47 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Mark,

can you post that link again as I cannot tell what it is, thanks.

I don't really know what else you can do to make it boot faster, your specs are okay so I don't really know whats slowing it down, you can try running "fsck" from the recovery menu as it might be the drive but I honestly don't know.

I assume your system is all up-to-date as there are new updates for the kernel if you haven't done any in the last week!!.

Here is the link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2425

razedafear

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:21:31 pm

madvinegar wrote:First of all you could try automatic login so as to save some time from there.

Secondly you could hide the grub menu and eliminate the 10 seconds of waiting time. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2425

Thirdly you could try something like this (I have not tried it myself, I read about it in ubuntu forums).

Open terminal and write:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/init.d/rc

Find the line (I think its line 33) that says
Code:
CONCURRENCY=none

and change it to:
Code:
CONCURRENCY=shell

Save, exit and try again.

Or try this:
Open terminal and write
Code:

Code:
vm.swappiness=10

1-automatic login - would try that

2-hide the grub - already done, followed your post before posting this, :)

3- About the third tweak - any idea what this tweak does? just for my knowledge..

madvinegar

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03:00 pm

As regards swapiness read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness

Swappiness is a property for the Linux kernel that changes the balance between swapping out runtime memory, as opposed to dropping pages from the system page cache. Swappiness can be set to values between 0 and 100 inclusive. A low value means the kernel will try to avoid swapping as much as possible where a higher value instead will make the kernel aggressively try to use swap space. The default value is 60, and for most desktop systems, setting it to 100 may affect the overall performance, whereas setting it lower (even 0) may improve interactivity (decreasing response latency.)

As regards the concurrency setting, I have read that it makes the kernel during boot to do all jobs simultaneously rather than do them the one after the other.

I have not tried any of them so you could try them out and in case you don't like it or don't see any big difference, you can set things back as they were.
I have heard though that the swappiness trick works well and really improves boot time and performance.

Let us have your feedback after you tried it.

madvinegar

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:56:52 am

I always set it to auto-login from when installing the distros. Never had problems.
You don't delete the password. You just set the machine to write it by it self. :D

madvinegar

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:11:11 pm

Exactly. The autologin does not mean that you gain admin rights. You still need gksudo nautilus to elevate.

razedafear

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:07:16 am

Guys..i dont get the option to disable auto login. I am going through ubuntu tweak. ...!

Wolfman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27:05 am

Hi,

install the package "gnome-system-tools" then look for "Users and Groups" in the main menu, you can make changes there!!.

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

razedafear

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31:03 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

install the package "gnome-system-tools" then look for "Users and Groups" in the main menu, you can make changes there!!.

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

Thanks \m/. it worked.. SOLVED!!

razedafear

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:45:13 am

Hi guys

This issues has pooped up again. I measured the boot time (from the grub menu) till i see my desktop. its took 01:00:88 min which is too much for any ubuntu OS. Dont know what is happening. Here is what i have already in place:

-Automatic login - enabled
-Delay in grub reduced to 2 sec
-Updates installed till latest
- Tried this as well:
Open terminal and write
CODE: SELECT ALL

CODE: SELECT ALL
vm.swappiness=10

My swap space is set to 3.4GB but sys monitor shows 7.1GB, or may be its supposed to reflect the RAM in swap as well?

Check screenshots: [attachment=1]Selection_001.jpg[/attachment] [attachment=0]Selection_002.png[/attachment]

Wolfman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:29:20 am

Hi,

start in recovery mode and run "dpkg" and even it says there are no updates available, say "Y" and continue, start network first before clicking on dpkg. (No Wifi !!!)

razedafear

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:32:34 am

guys can u post ur approx boot times. just to make sure that there not something that i installed which bogs down my machine, I did install VMware workstation recently. I do get a screen on boot up related to that...may be that could be what delays it...the last few lines of message says.."starting vmware services".. spends about 3-4secs on this screen at boot up.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:00:23 am

Hi,

you might have too much c*** starting with the system:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2406

Take out all c*** you don't need from the startup list and see if it boots faster!!.

My boot time is about 45 seconds to the login window without touching the keyboard and waiting the 10 secs in boot menu!!.

razedafear

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:40:41 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

you might have too much c*** starting with the system:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2406

Take out all c*** you don't need from the startup list and see if it boots faster!!.

My boot time is about 45 seconds to the login window without touching the keyboard and waiting the 10 secs in boot menu!!.

Hi Wolf

Tried the command and the startup tweaks. I am still going over 1 min. To be precise it takes longer than usual at the time when those two inter mingled circles keep rotating. (~ 30-40sec). Thats where it spends more time. Here is how my startup looks like.

a1.png

a2.png

a3.png

Regards
Mark

Wolfman

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:50:55 am

Hi Mark,

what resources does your PC have??, I have a dual core CPU and 4GB DDR3 RAM.

madvinegar

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:04:56 am

Just to add to all the above, indeed Zorin6 has a slower boot time than ubuntu 12.04.

I made an experiment and dual booted zorin6 with ubuntu 12.04 (so as to have a direct comparison). Ubuntu takes noticably less time to boot.

I don't know the reason. I used Zorin 6 premium edition (which is full of apps). Does that have anything to do with it?

Wolfman

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:17:43 am

Hi MV,

it may well be the modding on Zorin making it take longer, I don't really bother about boot times myself, I switch on the PC and walk away, do something then return and login!!.

1 minute would be acceptable imo.

madvinegar

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:00:52 am

Couldn't agree more. I just wanted to add some info to the topic.

razedafear

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:40:50 am

what resources does your PC have??, I have a dual core CPU and 4GB DDR3 RAM.

I have an HP Probook. i7 2630QM quad core, 8GB DDR3, 500HDD, Intel HD 3000. Its a mean machine when it comes to power processor. :) I have a x64 bit version of zorin 6.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:08:35 pm

Hi Mark,

did you take out things like Ubuntu One and Zeitgeist, along with Gwibber some other c*** from the startup menu??, all those services are fighting against you and I really cannot say what is slowing you down, did you run "dpkg" as I suggested??.

Your system is more than powerful so that isn't the problem!.

razedafear

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:03:24 am

did you take out things like Ubuntu One and Zeitgeist, along with Gwibber some other c*** from the startup menu??, all those services are fighting against you and I really cannot say what is slowing you down, did you run "dpkg" as I suggested??.

Your system is more than powerful so that isn't the problem!.

Hi Wolf
I cleaned my statup apps(check my last reply with screenshots of startup apps). I tried running "dpkg" in recovery mode. it ugraded few things, rebooted, but i am still running over a minute of boot time. and it still takes time on boot screen where those two circles keep rotating..

Thanks
Mark

Wolfman

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:40:20 am

Hi Mark,

did you install the Intel drivers via Synaptic or by using the Additional Drivers tool?.

Have you installed the package intel-gpu-tools which is a debug tool!!. (Don't ask me how to use it!!)

razedafear

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:19:22 pm

Hi Wolf

Yes the intel-gpu-tools is already installed. I dont remember installing it specifically, might have been installed in any upgrade or so. i did not install any intel drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website(HP). But it still shows up as installed in synaptic manager. And honestly, i dont know how to use it :). Tried some how to's but went nowhere..

Thanks
Mark

madvinegar

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:36:46 pm

Don't try to find a solution. There is nothing wrong. It is just the booting time of Zorin. It takes more that ubuntu.
I don't know the reason. Maybe Zorin needs more time to configure the awn bar or probably is the splash screen manager!

Wolfman

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:47:22 pm

Hi Mark,

I have to agree with MV as I really don't know what the problem is anyway, if after taking out all the apps from the startup menu doesn't speed it up; I don't know what will!!.