This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

System Crashes after booting up

TheReaperrr

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16:22 am

I've been using Zorin 6 and it's way better than Windows 7. But when I started my Zorin, it boots up. When it is on the desktop, it crashes. It won't react to anything. I use USB to boot my Zorin and it's on a laptop. Is there a way to fix this?

Wolfman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:52:12 am

Hi,

is it permanently on the stick or have you actually installed it to the hard drive??.

If it is permanently on the stick, try booting into the recovery mode and run "dpkg", you need a workinging network connection for this, first click on "Network" in the same menu.

Regards Wolfman :D

TheReaperrr

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:24:47 pm

I have .iso file that I used to make it bootable on the usb. The system is installed in my computer, if you ment that. And dpkg doesnt help, I've done that earlier. Networking does the thing, but doesn't continue after finishing.

madvinegar

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:21:00 pm

Give us some info about your PC.
Post the results of:

Code:
lspci

Code:
sudo lshw

TheReaperrr

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:07:14 pm

I typed those and got walls of text. Should I post a picture? And a question, my Zorin worked well earlier, but why did it suddenly do this? Or is this new stuff to you guys?

madvinegar

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:31:43 am

TheReaperrr wrote:I typed those and got walls of text. Should I post a picture? And a question, my Zorin worked well earlier, but why did it suddenly do this? Or is this new stuff to you guys?

Copy and paste the results here withing [code] brackets. i.e.

[code] [/*code] (without the asterisk).

TheReaperrr

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:19:44 am

madvinegar wrote:
TheReaperrr wrote:I typed those and got walls of text. Should I post a picture? And a question, my Zorin worked well earlier, but why did it suddenly do this? Or is this new stuff to you guys?

Copy and paste the results here withing [code] brackets. i.e.

[code] [/*code] (without the asterisk).

Yes, I do know that. But, you can't copy text from root promt, or can you?

madvinegar

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45:41 pm

Ofcourse you can. You just highlight with the mouse the text you want to copy, right-click, select "copy" (or ctrl+c) and "paste" it here (or ctrl+v).

You can also press ctrl+a to higlight all the text in the terminal.

TheReaperrr

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:47:52 pm

Thank you, I didn't know that. But after that, the computer must be restarted to use Windows 7, so the copyed text will be removed. Or do you mean I should to this in cmd?

madvinegar

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:14:02 am

Ok, so now I get it. You don't even have time to open terminal, copy the results of the commands, open your internet browser, log into the zorin forums and paste it? The computer crashes immediately after you boot onto the desktop?

When booting, select from the grub menu the recovery mode (usually 2nd option), and then from the new menu that will open select to boot into safe graphics mode.
See if you can boot like that into your desktop.
If you do, then it is likely a problem of your GPU. Do you know what is your GPU?

When you get to your desktop in safe graphics mode, open terminal and write
Code:
jockey-gtk

A window will open. Check to see if there are any recomended drivers of your GPU (Nvidia or ATI) to be enabled.
If they are already enabled, disable them. If thery are not enabled, enable them. (This is to check if the system works better with open or closed drivers).

Also, I believe that "now" you could write in terminal the commands I gave you and post here the results.

TheReaperrr

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:30:14 am

Nope, the screen will stay black when I choose the "Boot in safe graphics mode for one session".

TheReaperrr

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:33:12 am

I made my usb bootable with Universal USB Installer for Linux. When I start my computer, I press F12 to acces the menu where you choose what to boot. Then I choose my USB and it loads up the GPU menu, where I'll start the Zorin. Yes, that's a long way, but incase of Zorin installation breaks completely, I want my W7 to start up first as default.

Wolfman

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:00:54 am

Hi,

firstly your GRUB menu should be installed to the "MBR" of your first hard drive under normal circumstances!!.

You can also read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1779

TheReaperrr

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:05:34 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

firstly your GRUB menu should be installed to the "MBR" of your first hard drive under normal circumstances!!.

You can also read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1779

What is MBR? Also, I'd rather have the Windows 7 as default os, like I said. (But if that's the problem, I can change it)

Wolfman

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:14:12 am

Hi,

MBR means "Master Boot Record" which is the app responsible for controling how and to what what OS your PC boots to, when you installed Linux, you could have selected "Install GRUB to MBR" but I assume you installed it to the USB stick??.

Here is a read about repairing GRUB:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Recov ... ingWindows

And one about "Boot Repair" which I recommend downloading for future use!!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair