This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help re-creating specialized DVD for a school

RutReturns

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:03:54 pm

First off, I am not proficient with Linux at all. I have played with it over the years off and on. I have a basic understanding of the file structure and terminal commands so I am not quite a noob either. I have messed with Ubuntu, Mepis, Mint and a few others and I really like what you guys have done with Zorin. I really like the feel of how it works, especially the live version. Probably one of the smoothest live versions I have ever used.

I am a Windows admin and one of my clients is a local school that runs an after school care program for low income children. We have a computer lab for them to do homework, projects, research, etc. 2 years ago a company donated 30 new Dell Vostro 220 computers with Windows 7. Every 6 months I am in there removing things the kids have done (changing the look, mouse pointers, saved files). Seems like no matter how much I try to lock it down, they still find ways to do things including infecting with viruses. They are also pretty good at using proxy sites to get to places we have blocked through our web filter.

Anyway, I want to have OS's that they will not have the ability to save anything to. In other workds, I want to run Zorin from the DVD and not install it on the local machines. They are required to have USB thumb drives to save files. As a matter of fact, I am going to disconnect the C drives altogether. Then they can do whatever they want, and all we have to do is reboot into a brand new environment. So here is my problem, I need to setup a workstation with the software, remove the links to install to disk, remove most of the software that they will not use, add a few things I think they might use (including games), set each system up with a different computername, then burn it back to a new DVD that will run live on the workstations. The only other thing I need to do, would be to somehow fix the DVD drives to not be opened when they reboot.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to achieve my goals? I would pay for support, but the school does not have a budget at all for IT since it is a non-profit. Everything we have was donated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Wolfman

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:43:25 am

hi,

install Linux and what is very important is the app "gnome-system-tools" which gives you full control over the user and groups as admin, you set what they can and can't do, once installed, you will find it under "Users and Groups" in the main menu, you can assign network access; printers etc via the user privilege lists!!.

this link is for Unity but the principal is the same (watch from 3:30 onwards):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeWntArcOg

Regards Wolfman :D