This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't run or install Zorin OS

Beogeo

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:48:35 pm

Hi, I'm trying to install Zorin OS core 64-bit. I have downloaded it and burned it to a disk using imgburn. I put the disk in, reboot the computer it brings up the run live version, install, boot from hdd screen. If I select anything that would run or install Zorin OS my monitor just goes blank. If I tell it to boot from hdd it launches windows. I tried to do it from a flash drive, same results. My pc is a Lenovo H415 64-bit. Help would be appreciated

madvinegar

Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:12:31 pm

When getting to the menu screen, press F6 and choose "nomodeset". See if you can get to the desktop.

If yes, proceed in installing zorin as usual.
After installation, and in first boot, when you get to the grub menu press "e" and in the command line that will appear at the bottom of the screen (using the arrow keys) delete the phrase "quiet splash" and replace it with "nomodeset".

We can then add this permanently on your /etc/default/grub
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

and change the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"

save, exit and then run
Code:
sudo update-grub

to make changes permanent.

Beogeo

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:10:25 pm

What is on the menu screen you are talking about? I'm at the screen that comes up with the disk in the disk drive, and pressing f6 just makes the screen flash. thanks for the help!

Beogeo

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15:54 pm

Never mind, I figured out how to do it with your instructions. Thanks for the help! :D