This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No wifi for a custom iso using Remastersys

razedafear

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:17:32 am

Hi

I tried to make a custom iso(for Zorin OS) using remastersys, did not make any tweaks just created the distro plus the setting into the iso but when i live booted it using a USB flash disk on my bro's Dell Latitude E6240, the wifi does not work. It has Intel Centrino 6300 AGN.
However, when i boot his laptop using linux mint 13 maya, the wifi works flawless.
The LAN however works fine for the custom iso.

Any idea whats happening here?

Mark

madvinegar

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:57:31 am

It depends if the wifi drivers are preloaded on the distro.

Post the result of the following commands, just to see which is your laptop's wifi driver:

Code:
lspci | grep Network
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

razedafear

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:55:35 pm

madvinegar wrote:It depends if the wifi drivers are preloaded on the distro.

Post the result of the following commands, just to see which is your laptop's wifi driver:

Code:
lspci | grep Network
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Code:
   00:19.0 E hernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35) 

Code:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo lshw -c network
  *-network               
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 19
       bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 04
       serial: d4:be:d9:58:5b:01
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi cap_list ethernet physical
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e1000e latency=0 multicast=yes
       resources: irq:20 memory:e2e00000-e2e1ffff memory:e2e80000-e2e80fff ioport:4080(size=32)
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       product: Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 35
       serial: 24:77:03:9f:03:f8
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=3.2.0-23-generic firmware=9.221.4.1 build 25532 ip=192.168.1.3 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
       resources: irq:46 memory:e2d00000-e2d01fff

Code:
  mint@mint ~ $ sudo rfkill list all
1: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
   Soft blocked: no
   Hard blocked: no
2: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
   Soft blocked: yes
   Hard blocked: no
3: phy0: Wireless LAN
   Soft blocked: n

madvinegar

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:37:48 pm

First of all do a
Code:
sudo rfkill list unblock all

because your BT is blocked.

Your driver (iwlwifi) should be preloaded in to Zorin 6 and working out of the box.
Have you posted the above results from Zorin or from Maya? (Because it says that the wifi is working just fine and is in use).

razedafear

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:25:57 pm

Ahhh..how dumb of me. indeed i posted results from Maya. since i could not get the custom iso to work for wifi.. I will make a live USB key again for the custom iso for zorin. one more thing its not the zorin OS fresh from site that has issues, but the custom iso of zorin that i made from my laptop distro (which is currently up and running on my laptop (Hp probook 4530). I need to get this working on Dell Latitude E6240 with all my software's, settings and updates burned into a custom iso.

Wolfman

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:13:07 am

Hi,

I have an alternative option other than Remastersys for you.

Open Synaptic > File > "Save markings as" then a window will open, at the bottom is > "Save full state, not only changes". Give it a name and save the file to a safe place.

The next time you install, you can go back to that saved doc and use it to recover your system quickly, make sure that all the same options (software sources, location etc) were marked beforehand.

You will have to backup this file on a regular basis to an external drive/USB stick.

Regards Wolfman

razedafear

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:37:43 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Open Synaptic > File > "Save markings as" then a window will open, at the bottom is > "Save full state, not only changes". Give it a name and save the file to a safe place.

The next time you install, you can go back to that saved doc and use it to recover your system quickly, make sure that all the same options (software sources, location etc) were marked beforehand.

You will have to backup this file on a regular basis to an external drive/USB stick.

Regards Wolfman

make sure that all the same options (software sources, location etc) were marked beforehand. - - - What does this mean? What all do i need to select. ?

Also the backed up file is just 56KB, how does it recover all my settings and updates, Will it simply download the current packages and setting from internet instead of creating a dump of these?

razedafear

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:41:32 pm

On a related note - i found this software to backup all my packages to cache. "APTonCD".. its instaled on mint maya by default.. its backs up the apt cache without having to download them again. so its servers a good offline installation source. however only thing that remain is my settings, shortcuts, customizations etc, i dont think so it will solve that, but would be good to have this checked once for on the fly installations..
this is avaliable in apt for download in zorin as well, and other precise distros

razedafear

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:03:07 am

Hey Swarf

ok. here is what happened when i tried remastersys again. This time i selected the first option "to backup the OS with your data". And it fired up all my 8 processors with all of them at 100%, full fan speed and heat. (although i have cooler master to cool it down) but the processors were all fired up at same time. The process was continuing to backup but this gave me a concern, i ddint want to risk toasting my processor on this.
Also this did not happen when i select the 2 option in remastersys main menu. check screenshots

RM.jpeg

CPU.jpeg

Wolfman

Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:15:53 pm

razedafear wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Regards Wolfman

make sure that all the same options (software sources, location etc) were marked beforehand. - - - What does this mean? What all do i need to select. ?

Also the backed up file is just 56KB, how does it recover all my settings and updates, Will it simply download the current packages and setting from internet instead of creating a dump of these?

Hi,

all it is is a script that remembers all the software packages you have installed, you are concerned about your home partition I understand, all you would need to do is back-up the package list with the file and it will install all the packages and apps you have currently installed in one hit, just don't format home when you do a new or re-install and all your config and other files in home will be safe!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

razedafear

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54:46 am

burned zorin 6 again using 2nd option of remastersys.. no softwares or customizations were copied. it just created a cutom distro similar to what i used to install.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07:49 am

Hi Mark,

did it work out okay??.

razedafear

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43:23 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Mark,

did it work out okay??.

Hi Wolfman

I always plan to format the home as well. I mean i have a dual boot running on my sys. what i am trying to do is make an exact copy (NOTE: i want to take an offline dump without having to download the packages from Internet while installing) of my zorin 6 along with my customization and packages installed. My bro wants to use this on his Dell Latitude as a live user from a bootable USB.

The script that you mentioned, i believe that would still require me to download packages all over again on my bro laptop. I am currently experimenting with APTonCD software. let me see how that goes.
Onemore thing is that, i want to backup this minus my personal data on zorin. so it would be just my zorin OS+customization+settings+all my packages-my personal data.

Thanks

Wolfman

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:13:38 pm

Hi Mark,

yes! you are correct, you would still have to download the packages, the object behind my suggestion was to make the update/install apps process quicker!!.

Wolfman

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:34:13 am

Hi mark,

I forgot to mention that you can also click on "generate package download script" which does more or less the same thing as my other suggestion!!.

Synaptic > File > Generate package download script > Save script > Name > Save

razedafear

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:12:07 pm

thanks wolf.. will give it a try again

Wolfman

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45:46 am

Hi Mark,

let me know how you get on.

razedafear

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:09:17 pm

tried this.. and it just created a script file with this one line of code:

#!/bin/sh

Wolfman

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:19:53 pm

Hi,

it seems to have a bug, I created a new folder and a script but it churned out nothing!!, the other way works fine!!.