This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Applet Crash

vdamus

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:31:29 pm

What would be the equivalent to the windows start button keeps crashing.

I click on it to see my list of programs and it says applet has crashed then some window

opens about launch pad but I can't get to my start menu to get on the internet now

after doing an update and then i did some kind of repair thing but it didnt work,

Any ideas?

I want to remove zorin and re install but unfortunately if I do it will wipe out my boot sector

or something like that and I will lose windows to. Any Ideas on how to do this safely?

I don't have a windows back up disc, didn't come with my Laptop.

vdamus

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:50:12 am

Im booting Zorin from a Thumb Drive. Although I have Zorin Installed on My computer, as far as partions Its on my D drive but apparently I didnt set it up right as I had no Idea what to do with the partition section when I got to it.

Other install option? Whats Grub besides something I get when Im hungry LOL :) just having fun.

Wolfman

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14:01 am

Hi,

for partitioning, please see this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

It has a few other links about "something else" too.

Regards Wolfman :D

vdamus

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:44:05 pm

Wolfy,

How do I get the Applet To work again?

Im not ready to re install Zorin at this time but the Start Button Icon, with the Z on it,

When I click on it, it usually shows a list of programs and or options, now when I click on it

it Says Applet Crashed and something comes up about launch pad.

And btw I really don't have any idea what Grub is except for maybe my next meal LOL

Wolfman

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:37:18 am

Hi,

have you fully updated:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

you should have this problem solved with updating, if it is still not working, right click the bottom panel and "Dock Preferences" > "Applets" > "Available Applets" > "Cairo Main Menu" then on the little green arow to add it to the panel, this will add another menu button to your bottom panel just in case!!.

vdamus

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03:22 am

Wolfy,

I reformatted my drive tonight. Windows just wouldn't boot up after I went into safe mode doing a spyware scan. When I went to reboot windows

I couldnt even get it to run in Safe Mode, So I booted up Zorin and Formatted the drive so now I have about 160 gigs of free Space.

Reinstalled Zorin, didnt ask me to import anything like it did last time and a window came up and said it would now delete 5 partitions.

So I alllowed it to do that as I have no idea what to do with the partitioning drive section. Anyway I go to update Zorin and it now says I dont

have enough memory for the updates, and Im thinking I have more memory now then when I first installed it.

Whats up with that?

Im going to probably buy Windows 7 Tomorrow, I found it for 88 bucks. Anyway another question, How come I always have to boot zorin from

the thumb Drive? In other words now that there is no other OS on my computer how come I can't just turn on my machine and have Zorin

Boot automatically with no USB Memory Drive installed?

Thanks

Vinnie

vdamus

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08:37 am

Scratch the Memory Problem I guess I just had to reboot my computer after the fresh install, now Im able to download the updates.

If I can get my trading platform and my Charting package to work on Zorin Im not going to bother with windows anymore. Screw Bill Gates!

madvinegar

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12:01 am

Anyway another question, How come I always have to boot zorin from

the thumb Drive? In other words now that there is no other OS on my computer how come I can't just turn on my machine and have Zorin

EDIT: Before doing the below re-installation and since your ram problem worked, do this.
Boot into your desktop using the live usb stick.
Open terminal and run

Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

After the above command is installed, reboot and see if you get the grub menu without the usb stick in it.

If the above does not work, you have most probably installed the grub boot-loader in the usb thumb drive (or the whole OS!).

Just try the following:
1) Boot using the thumpdrive.
2) After you get into the desktop choose and run the icon "install zorin".
3) When you get to the options screen (the one that says "install zorin", "install zorin in parallel with windows" "other", choose "other").
4) In the end of the "other" window, you will see an option which says "grub boot loader". Click it to open the list and select from there your main hard drive (most probably it will be "sda" since now you don't have any other partition. The problem was that probably this was set by mistake to "sdb" which is your thumbdrive. So, change it back to "sda".
5) Hit the "return" or "back" button to go back to the previous screen (i,e. the one with the options "install zorin", "install zorin in parallel with windows" "other").
6) Choose the option that says to install zorin as your only OS.
7) In the next screen, just make sure that your main 160gb drive is selected (most probably "sda") and click install to proceed. All the rest will be automatically formed (partitions, swap etc).

vdamus

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:33:18 pm

Once I have re installed Zorin as my Only OS, can I install Windows 7 as well or will it overwrite Zorin?

Also if in fact Zorin is now on the USB, I may just leave it that way as it works fine but I will check, hopefully i can figure it out.

Thanks

vdamus

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:51:15 am

Btw made another error reinstalling Zorin but finally got it as the single OS on my computer for now.

Didn't mess with partitions, formated the drive erased everything, reboot from USB Drive reinstalled, changed Boot order and now

My computer boots up with the Grub Window and boots Zorin Automatically. I guess before I was running Zorin off the USB Drive and

I must say, having it run from my Hard Drive has made noticeable improvements in speed and even the quality of the graphics is much clearer.

If i could get this to work with the programs I used on a daily basis I would dump windows in a heartbeat.

The More I get used to it the more Im digging it. Boot up takes 15 seconds as compared to the 5 minutes vista would take,

Shutdown takes like 3 seconds.

Good Stuff Guys, Keep up; the great work and I am telling people on my List about it and my friends.

Wolfman

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:20:48 am

vdamus wrote:Btw made another error reinstalling Zorin but finally got it as the single OS on my computer for now.

Didn't mess with partitions, formated the drive erased everything, reboot from USB Drive reinstalled, changed Boot order and now

My computer boots up with the Grub Window and boots Zorin Automatically. I guess before I was running Zorin off the USB Drive and

I must say, having it run from my Hard Drive has made noticeable improvements in speed and even the quality of the graphics is much clearer.

If i could get this to work with the programs I used on a daily basis I would dump windows in a heartbeat.

The More I get used to it the more Im digging it. Boot up takes 15 seconds as compared to the 5 minutes vista would take,

Shutdown takes like 3 seconds.

Good Stuff Guys, Keep up; the great work and I am telling people on my List about it and my friends.

Hi,

glad to hear its up and running, don't forget about Wine and Playonlinux for Windows apps!!.

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

http://www.winehq.org/