This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Not able to use windows button

BrazlyN_Guy

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:27:17 pm

Why am I not able to use the windows button as a shortcut for menu panel?

I tried to manually change it, but when reassigning from combo+f1 it will not recognize the windows key???? can you fix this? :)

thanks

kevs_view

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46:44 am

Does it still work if your desktop is mimicking Win7? The screen dump examples are all with the Unbuntu desktop

Technobabble

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:27:33 am

Not sure if this post is relevant any longer, but I was looking for an answer to this and failed to find one. However, I was finally able to figure it out. I did this in Zorin OS 5.2 Core with the Win 7 theme active. I right clicked on the big blue Z button, found on the left side of the taskbar panel. Then I selected properties. Then I went to the Preferences tab. The top check box "Bind keyboard key ex: <Alt>F11, <Control>F1" was not checked, but the value in the text box defaulted to Super_L. Anyway, I just checked this box and restarted gno_menu when I was prompted. Afterwards, the super key (aka Windows Key) opened the Zorin main menu just like in ubuntu or windows. Hope this helps anyone else looking for this.

dandv

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:44:36 am

This no longer works in Zorin OS 6.1. After checking that checkbox and clicking OK to restart the applet, it crashes:

"Whoops, the applet crashed. Click to restart it".

After I click to restart GnoPanel, the Super_L key does nothing. I've tried entering other combinations like Control<F1>, to no effect.

This is really, really lame. Zorin is supposed to make the transition from Windows easy, yet the Win key doesn't work, and Ctrl+Esc doesn't bring up the Start menu.

Deacon

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:03:57 pm

dandv wrote:This no longer works in Zorin OS 6.1. After checking that checkbox and clicking OK to restart the applet, it crashes:

"Whoops, the applet crashed. Click to restart it".

After I click to restart GnoPanel, the Super_L key does nothing. I've tried entering other combinations like Control<F1>, to no effect.

This is really, really lame. Zorin is supposed to make the transition from Windows easy, yet the Win key doesn't work, and Ctrl+Esc doesn't bring up the Start menu.

I don't know, after having to reinstall yesterday I almost felt like I had Windows again. Ah, the memories. Sorry.

I'll be honest. At this point it's just pride on the line here for me. I have never understood the use of the Windows key, because if people are using not into using a largely mouse-based GUI, they're usually a fan of the terminal (DOS fan). Windows itself got rid of the Windows key for a short while with Win8.

THAT SAID: The Super key starts apparently as a modifier key in 12.04, which is what Zorin 6 is based on. Ctrl-Super-Up and Ctrl-Super-Down Maximize and Minimize a Window respectively. They are in System Settings-->keyboard settings-->Windows. Now, that can be disabled. The question is, what command makes the GnoMenu pop up and can it be assigned the Super_L key without going into dconf settings?

I like my system working fine today too much to find out. Any braver, smarter souls want to see if it can just be changed from the window setings?

Deacon

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:28:35 pm

My curiosity is getting the better of me.

Where is the Gnomenu theme.xml file? I am curious as to what command the button uses and if it can be "hardcoded" by System Settings or Ubuntu Tweak.

Deacon

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:33:41 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Scrap all of that! With my GnoMenu Modification the Super key now works! (Zorin DE only! - so far checked that is!)

I have a feeling this fix is going to work. Actually, the problems led me to work on a new project-- hence I have been less talkative. I will try it tomorrow!