This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] GnoMenu not opening on right spot on the screen

GBT7

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03:15 pm

I think this problem explains it's self if I put a picture of it here... unfortunately I won't bother to find out how to screenshot gnomenu. So... I will try to display it in text.

| . .| | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .| |
| . .| | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .| |
| . .| | . . . . . . . . . . . [Where it should open] . . . . . . . . . . . .| |
| . .'-.:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\ . . /::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.-'
|___________________________\,,/__________________________________________
| . . . . . . . . \ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [AWN Taskbar] . . . . . . . . . .
| [GnoMenu] . \::::::::::::::::::::::,'-,
|___ ____ ____\_[Where it opens] .|_|________________________________________

Is there any way I can fix this? it is really starting to annoy me...

madvinegar

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:54:55 am

When did this happen? Was it working OK and it got messed up after any updates etc?
Have you tried through look changer to change look ie. to gnome look and then back to win7 look?

GBT7

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:46:50 pm

All that did was mess up my AWN theme, and the problem still remains.

GBT7

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30:08 am

And if it is any help, I was editing some settings on compizconfig a while before I noticed this happening, and all of the settings I added were manually reverted by me afterwards. I also have absolutely no backup files running anywhere so I can't restore it to when it was working..

madvinegar

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48:24 am

Have you tried getting back the zorin theme through ubuntu tweak > tweaks > themes? and then logout-login?

GBT7

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:15:39 pm

I have the ambiant themes themes (not including icons), but they have nothing to do with the functionality of gnomenu...

madvinegar

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:28:22 pm

Have you tried this?

madvinegar wrote:Have you tried through look changer to change look ie. to gnome look (logout-login) and then back to win7 look (logout-login)?

spavila

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:08:50 pm

GBT7 wrote:I think this problem explains it's self if I put a picture of it here... unfortunately I won't bother to find out how to screenshot gnomenu. So... I will try to display it in text.

| . .| | . . . . . . . . . . . [Where it should open] . . . . . . . . . . . .| |
| . .'-.:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\ . . /::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.-'
|___________________________\,,/__________________________________________
| . . . . . . . . \ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [AWN Taskbar] . . . . . . . . . .
| [GnoMenu] . \::::::::::::::::::::::,'-,
|___ ____ ____\_[Where it opens] .|_|________________________________________

Is there any way I can fix this? it is really starting to annoy me...

Follow the link below:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2515

GBT7

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:37:17 pm

That is not the problem, I have always kept my awn dock in panel mode (if it weren't in panel mode the menu would still appear on the screen anyways). and yes I have tried your suggestion madvinegar

Wolfman

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:46:25 am

Hi,

what scaling for the fonts are you using and what is the resolution of your display, this may have an affect of your desktop.

I have noticed that if I use more than 1.1 font scaling, everything moves quite a bit!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

GBT7

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:37:33 am

Font scaling for what? AWN? My font for AWN is ubuntu (regular) size 11
My screen resolution is 1366x768

GBT7

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:46:40 am

Do you see the menu?

GnomenuGlitch.png

GBT7

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:30:55 pm

The menu is there, see the outline? It is on the dock theme... Let me show a little close up comparison here...

gnomenuglitchcomparison.png

spavila

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:26:39 pm

1. Right click "Z" globe.
2. Select Dock Preferences.
3. Uncheck "Expand the panel".
4. After removing the check mark from expand the panel, you can use the slider titled "Position on the screen" and move the menu to your preference.

Now is the GnoMenu opening in the correct spot on the screen?

GBT7

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:01:56 pm

My dock is in panel mode, I didn't need to take spavilla's advice. And no I am not talking about the gnome foot, I am talking about the actual menu. I am going to change it to a large contrasting theme then upload another screenshot.

My theme is now set to "Slab"
GnomenuGlitchSlab.png

GBT7

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:18:53 am

doesn't help... To give a little better of an idea on what is happening let me put my dock on the top of the screen and center on my menu button on it.
topscreenmenu.png

and at the top left of my screen
topmenuglitch.png

Wolfman

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:29:23 am

GBT7 wrote:Font scaling for what? AWN? My font for AWN is ubuntu (regular) size 11
My screen resolution is 1366x768

Hi,

the font scaling can also have an effect on the screen placement of taskbars and icons etc, that is why I asked you about it!!., under normal circumstance it should be set to 1.0.

Have you also tried adding the applets package which may (or may not) bring in some more dependencies!!.

sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all

Also, 2 links for the Avant Window Navigator (AWN):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714111

http://wiki.awn-project.org/FAQ

GBT7

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19:07 pm

I just gave up with GnoMenu and started using Yet Another Menu Applet... not as nice looking but still convenient. I didn't get indicator applet to work properly so I am using applets that when put together can do everything that indicator can, thanks for the tip! So far I have had not much luck with awn (it keeps glitching..) so the next time something goes wrong I will just use cairo-dock as my main dock...

GBT7

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:41:53 am

I know this topic is kinda old now but I am starting to miss GnoMenu because of how nice it looks and a thought occured to me when I realized that GnoMenu worked like a charm on my guest account that it must have been some user specific settings that may have interfered with it. Because of that I would like to know (if possible) how to reset every single one of my user specific settings for gnomenu (just to give it a shot).

Wolfman

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:33:03 am

Hi,

if you are using Gnome 2 look:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/41/reset ... panel?rq=1

If you are using Win7 look:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714111

Not sure if the 2nd link will help, sadly their Wiki (AWN) is down at the moment!!.

Failing both of the above, you can try tweaking the panels using the: right click > dock preferences!!.