This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Updating Problems, ver 12.04.1?

joshcantrell08

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:26:39 pm

Ok, before anyone says: "GO LOOK AT TEH STICKY!!!" I have, and it does not help me at all.

I am a relatively experienced Ubuntu user and I LOVE Zorin's layout, it is surely 100x better than the Unity defaults that come in 12.04, in my personal opinion. However, I am having some problems with the system after updating (I am assuming it is a problem with incompatibilities with Ubuntu 12.04.1??) and would like to see if anyone else has these problems, and or has a fix for me. Thanks!

Now, let me explain a few basics:

I am currently a tech-school student, we are ALL running virtual machines of both Ubuntu and Zorin 6, and we all agree that Zorin 6 is much prettier and simpler to use, HOWEVER! After the recent update (we have tried both Update Manager and updating via the Terminal/Command Line) we are ALL having problems with repositories. ALL OF US! Double entries, missing entries, entries that make no sense, and we've tried EVERYTHING we can think of to correct them.

Before you say it is a virtual machine problem: I personally have tested if it is a virtual problem by installing the OS on my machine at home (I am a tech, I have many machines) and even one installed for a client. They both work nicely, with the exception of this update problem! It is still there!!!

We are running the 32 bit OS version, if that helps at all?

We cannot receive further updates and we have problems with a lot of downloads because of repository errors. I don't know what else to try, I've gone in and deleted what it told me to delete as SU to try it (as per recommended, read elsewhere) and no go. Our entire class is having the problem, and I am utterly confused as to why we have not read about this problem online ANYWHERE!?! So confusing! We cannot possibly be the only ones??

Perhaps our OS disk has a problem? I don't know, but it seems to work perfectly until we update, then we get jacked.

Help me Zorin forum-mods, your my only hope.

Thanks, Joshua Cantrell

Wolfman

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28:31 pm

Hi Joshuja,

did you change the download location in "Software Sources" as per the "Sticky" ????.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

joshcantrell08

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:42:12 pm

Ok so you told me to just work with you in this post, which is totally fine by me... I did try changing my software sources once before, but I am going to try it again here in a few, I am unable to right now... Standby and I'll get to it in a couple hours and we can go over this some more... As I said, I would love to fix this problem and get Zorin rocking again and then I could really be happy to use it as a main-OS

madvinegar

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34:53 am

Could you also post here the outcome of:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

joshcantrell08

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:56:53 pm

gladly! You want me to just post it, or email you a link instead perhaps?

It will be long... If i don't hear back soon I'll just post it in here, let me know if you have a preference..

joshcantrell08

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:06:22 pm

Hey nevermind I read through your post with Chris2030 (he was having the same problem as I was!) and I fixed it! Thanks a ton!

madvinegar

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:31:44 am

Glad I helped.
Just for the future, in case you are asked to post back here the result of a terminal command, you can copy it from the terminal and paste it here inside [code] [/code*] brackets. (without the asterisk).
I will mark this thread as solved!