This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Assistance needed badly!

Chris2030

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57:19 am

Hi there,

Kindly clean by OS removing unrequired files it's acting up again, I would have done myself if it was windows don't know Zorin/ Linux commands.............

Do you agree with the following comments about Zorin:

To my mind, Zorin has a whole bunch of options of emulating a variety of DEs. That could complicate matters as far as trouble-shooting why something happens and something else doesn't.

Hoping to get assistance from you.

Regards!

Chris.

Chris2030

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06:53 pm

Both............mostly Bleachbit & occasionally janitor.

Chris2030

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:47:16 pm

Can Zorin be repaired by running the original DVD again?

Thanks.

Chris2030

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:39:12 pm

Not trying to remove any thing just install what is needed.

True staying with one is smart. Attached is a screen shot of BleachBit showing some errors that I fail to understand.

Update manager fails to update.

I shouldn't have installed:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714111

http://wiki.awn-project.org/FAQ

For more info about the AWN (Avant Window Manger), please see below.

You might get a message about language support pop up, you can ignore it for now.

Your current desktop should have the panel at the bottom, (When you start after first boot, your desktop will have the Win7 look!) click on the left button and type “look” in search, the Zorin Look Changer will appear, open it and select Gnome 2, your desktop should change automatically and you should now have a Gnome 2 desktop, log out and back in again just to make sure it works!!.

Click on “Applications” > “Accessories” and then drag “Terminal” to the top panel beside “Places”, Go to “Applications” “Internet” and drag “Google Chrome” to the top panel, start Google Chrome and type in the address bar “medibuntu repo”, (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu) and then go to the section “Adding The Repository”, add the 2 commands one after the other in the terminal, once the Medibuntu Repository has been added, you can close the terminal.

Click on “Applications” > System Tools > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and drag it to the top panel, start Synaptic and go to “settings > File > Delete files after download so you don't have any rubbish (trash to the Yanks) in your cache after the installation of software.
Now go to “Settings > Repositories > Zorin Software and mark all available boxes and make sure that the download location is set to “Main”, move to the next window “Other software, and do the same tick thingy, now go to updates and do the same again. Close the Software Sources window and click on “Reload” > “Mark All Upgrades” > “Apply” and let it do its thing, restart your PC after the updates have finished. (Updates may remain blank but are already listed in "Other Software")

Chris2030

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:48:53 pm

If i decide not to reinstall how much donation what I have to make?

Chris2030

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:23:13 pm

What exactly does this mean........

Chris2030

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:24:30 pm

Cannot find AZorin and/or zorink.

Wolfman

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:29:23 pm

Then error messages you get with Bleachbit are becuase you are running it as normal user, if you run BB as root, you won't get those messages!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Chris2030

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:19:46 pm

Wolfman I 1st run BB as root & than normally.

Chris2030

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:21:15 pm

Thanks swarfendor. After a fresh install & updating running
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
it will only show any broken packages or shall fix them too.

Chris2030

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:09:26 am

Code:
vaio@VGC-LS1:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for vaio:
vaio@VGC-LS1:~$

Wolfman

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:07:06 am

Chris2030 wrote:Wolfman I 1st run BB as root & than normally.

Hi Chris,

what I meant was that if you run root first, you won't get those messages but you will still get them when you run BB as normal user regardless whether or not you had previously ran BB as root or not!!.

Regards Wolfman :D