This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Update Manager states update, but nothing listed

PirateMouse

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26:34 pm

Greetings.

I have an odd ( maybe non-issue ) question regarding the update manager. I have posted a screenshot that shows the update manager saying all files are up to date, yet at the bottom it states " 1 update has been selected. 86kB will be downloaded" yet there is no file showing and nothing in the descriptions. To me, this is a little odd and I dunno if this is something that can just well be ignored or if there is a fix to the situation.

Thank you.

Wolfman

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:31:45 pm

FYI:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3009

Regards Wolfman :D

PirateMouse

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:14:32 pm

Thank you.

I did use Janitor and even rebooted. The odd message was still there. Strangely enough though, moment after I did all that, I got a list of updates to do. Which I did, but after all said and done - the odd message still appears. So, I am thinking it may not be something to be all too worried about, as I did get updates and it doesn't say there are any pending. Just when I visit the update manager, do I see that at the bottom. *shrugs*

Wolfman

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:09:24 am

Hi chaps,

the update manager seems to be acting strange of late, this is why I suggested changing download locations as a "just in case" scenario.

Regards Wolfman :D

DenHeldert

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11:02 pm

I have this too. Running Janitor didn't help.

flowguy

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:25:04 pm

Hi,

I've got about 3 tabs open about this issue with the 86kb, for after messing about a bit, I got the 86Kb ghost file in update manager earlier today.

Firstly I'm very new to Zorin ---> Zorin OS 6 LTS <--- and I love it. And very new to Linux too. I tried Mint Mate but it was slightly over-complex for my requirements, and replaced it later the same day for Zorin, which I felt very comfortable with immediately. The install being on my mother's computer, to replace XP on her desktop, and she is finding it smooth and easy to use Zorin for all her needs. Only issue being the mouse-cursor is a bit small for her older eyes, and seemingly no way of enlarging it, although I expect there is probably an app or program available somewhere. (I made small donation too... toward your works and future development efforts on Zorin, and got a receipt from you.. "Zorin Donations coordinator: O.P." Will make further ones, when I install it to my desktop to replace XP for Zorin, and another when I do my sister's computer from XP to Zorin.)

PirateMouse wrote:Is this the issue where the Update Manager states "1 update has been selected. 86kb will be downloaded" - yet there is nothing in the list and you haven't selected anything?

If so, there are a few threads posted that talk about this. I am not 100% certain if anyone has found an exact cause or fix for it, but doesn't seem to be a major issue. ( As I have had two updates flow through recently and haven't had any issues with them )

I may be very wrong, but I think it's something to do with Unity, and the blue-welcome loading screen when you start up the computer. Following some suggestions from Wolfman re Synaptic > Edit > Fix Broken Packages... I got a notice it would require me to downgrade(?) Unity Manager (or something similar named). And after a reboot, the 86KB has disappeared from Update Manager.

The corresponding effect being I no longer have any blue Zorin splash page when booting the computer. Just a black screen, until the user-account screen loads up. Going to consider what to do... although in retrospect it seems the 86KB ghost file (my own description) very minor, but I couldn't fix broken packages, in Synaptic, until I'd sorted it anyway. It wouldn't allow me giving me some duplicate error msg requiring action with Untity to be taken first. This is all from my memory which is a bit hazy.

Other 86KB threads: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3302
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3108