This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Update Manager Problems

RyanLWilliams

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm having problems with the Update Manager, as soon I click on "Check" nothing pops-up, the only thing that does is this.

Please look at the image and tell me, what is going on, I'm I, myself doing something wrong?: :roll:

brotherbrian

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:45:17 pm

Hello, and thank you all for your assistance with this awesome new OS.

I already know how to do update from command line, but U swear I used to have a shortcut somewhere in the zorin menu for "Update Manager" or something very similar, that did exactly that. Now I can't find it. I'm using Zorin 6 Ultimate, the Win 7 mode, with the Zorin OS Box menu, because of the visual glitch in using the default "Zorin OS" menu, getting a blank list for my Administration Menu (associated with the Nvidia White Screen bug).

Where do I find my Update manager shortcut in the menu, because I'm tired of waiting for it to tell me I have updates to decide what I want to install and don't.

Also, PlayonLinux keeps saying there's a new version available, but Updater isn't picking it up. Do I have to wait for the updated version to get sent to the Update Manager?

Wolfman

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:42:00 am

RyanLWilliams wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm having problems with the Update Manager, as soon I click on "Check" nothing pops-up, the only thing that does is this.

Please look at the image and tell me, what is going on, I'm I, myself doing something wrong?: :roll:

Hi,

please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3009

And also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regrads Wolfman :D

blfriis

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:20:10 am

I've had the same problem, but then i used synaptic and all upgrades then synaptic downgraded the unity-greeter and the 1 update in update manager disappeard. But then the update manager updated the unity-greeter.And i'm right back where I Started.Sorry for my poor english skills but I hope it makes sence.
So I think it's the unity greeter wich courses this issue..
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3108#p14384

Wolfman

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:03:50 am

Hi all,

this problem still persists with "unity greeter" although I am not sure why, must be a quirk in the repo!!.

This is why I suggested to you all that the download location should be changed to compensate for this error message, I have updated the "Update Guide" slighty!!.

Update Manager is also playing "silly buggers" too so use another location if you have a problem.

The best route to take initially is to use the recovery menu and run "dpkg", this seems to be stable at least!!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:32:39 am

Hi Swarf,

I use "Deluge" which I find far better than "Transmission, I had removed the main body of transmission anyway but thanks for the heads-up.

Regards Wolfman :D