This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Audio sounds broken

Gimmesumdeath

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:24:02 pm

Hi guys!

Just installed Zorin on my laptop. When I play a sound or a song it sounds like my speakers are broken (the sound is fine on Windows).

Any idea what could be wrong?

Cheers!

Wolfman

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41:17 pm

Hi,

try this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Regards Wolfman :D

Gimmesumdeath

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:23:45 pm

I tried that and it didnt get any better..

The sound is lagging and it sounds as if i turned the volume to max.
I use the same system on my other computer and it works fine.. could something have happened during the installation?

Wolfman

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:57:38 pm

Hi,

did you fully update the system??:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Gimmesumdeath

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:19:02 pm

Yepp!

Gimmesumdeath

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30:48 pm

I really appreciate you trying to help me out, dont get me wrong.. =)

I've updated everything that I can think of..downloaded the PulseAudio..
Can I repair the installation of Zorin without deleting everything? and would it help?

spavila

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:45:17 pm

Gimmesumdeath wrote:Hi guys!

Just installed Zorin on my laptop. When I play a sound or a song it sounds like my speakers are broken (the sound is fine on Windows).

Any idea what could be wrong?

Cheers!

1. Left click blue Z-globe.
2. Select System Settings.
3. Click Sound.
4. Click Output tab.
5. Under Connector use the drop down arrow and choose a different setting.

This is what mine looks like.

Wolfman

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39:28 am

Hi,

do you have the codecs packs installed?. (Medibuntu Repo must be setup see this guide: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054 )

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get install w32codecs non-free-codecs

Also a few links for you:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... ation/User

http://lotphelp.com/lotp/the-ubuntu-sou ... tion-guide

Gimmesumdeath

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:09:53 pm

Did all that and it didnt work!

I will try to re-install Zorin and see what happens..

Wolfman

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:38:57 pm

Hi,

as spavila suggests, you must check "Output - Input and Hardware", if like I suggested you install Pulse Audio, you need both the Pulse Audio Manager and the Sound Manger open at the same time to see if there is something amiss!!.

Gimmesumdeath

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:52:03 pm

as spavila suggests, you must check "Output - Input and Hardware", if like I suggested you install Pulse Audio, you need both the Pulse Audio Manager and the Sound Manger open at the same time to see if there is something amiss!!.

I changed the settings and there's a small change in the sound, but no one is really good.

I got PulseAudio Device Chooser, PulseAudio Preferences and PulseAudio Volume Meter...but the device chooser isnt working. plus it says on software center that I got two other programs installed which I cant find?!
Do I use the PulseAudio Device Chooser for this?

Wolfman

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43:58 am

Hi,

you should be able to get away with the "Pulse Audio Volume Control" which you will find under "Sound & Video" in the main menu. (Cross check with the normal sound manager at the same time)

It is important to note that you need to make sure that the respective hardware is selected before you start to adjust something in the sound manager.
Volume Control_047.png

Make sure that the correct hardware is selected and the slider is to (volume up) the right and that it isn't muted!!.

Gimmesumdeath

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:17:22 pm

I've been away for the weekend and when I turned it on today it worked just fine. It didnt work before the weekend.

Really dont know what fixed it, but it i bet it was one of all the changes I made.

Thank you very much Wolfman! I owe you one!=)

Gimmesumdeath

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:44:56 pm

Well I restarted it and now the sound is crappy again!

Wolfman

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:17:19 pm

Hi,

did you check both Pulse Audio Manager and the normal Volume settings controller at the same time??.

Did you do the updates as per my earlier post??.

Have you installed the "non-free-codecs" pack??. (Medibuntu repo required, see also: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054 )

Gimmesumdeath

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:41:00 pm

Yes! I've done everything you have told me to do.

When I play a song its like listening to a broken record. Its fine for 1-2 seconds then it skips back a bit..
Every sound is a little off with a cracking sound.

The wierd part is that it worked before I restarded it..

Wolfman

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18:24 pm

Hi,

start your PC in recovery mode and run "dpkg" with a network cable connected, make sure you click on "Network" before you start, see also the update thread and the part about fixing broken files:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

See if that helps!!.

Gimmesumdeath

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:29:03 pm

Did that and no difference..

the sound keeps playing 1-2 seconds after I pause it..

Wolfman

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:53:45 pm

Hi,

are you using Amarok by chance and have you checked the settings, especially the part about "Fade Out". ??.

Gimmesumdeath

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:37:31 pm

I use Banshee.

And the cracking/lagging sound is not just for the music player..its for all the sounds.

Wolfman

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:32:39 pm

Hi,

are you using a normal PC and does it have a "Front Mic" which you aren't using, if it does have a front mic and it is not in use, you should "Mute" it.

Let me know what you have in the way of connections as far a s sound goes, is it analog or HDMI etc.

Wolfman

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:51:37 am

Hi,

have you tried installing the packages "flac" & "faad" ??. That might help!!.

sudo apt-get install flac faad