This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Login box

hasani

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:29:58 am

I am a newbie.

How do I make the login box to have the users to key-in both username and password? Currently, the usernames is appearing at the login box and user will only have to key-in their password in order to login.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:31:42 am

Hi,

you should install the package "gnome-system-tools" which will add an icon in the main menu under "Users and Groups", armed with this tool you can setup accounts and how the guest accounts react with the OS, you can select how much access the guest has with regards to network or printing and other areas of the PC!!.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

Once you set up more accounts, the login window will change and offer user names and not just the password panel!.

Regards Wolfman :D

hasani

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:23:53 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

you should install the package "gnome-system-tools" which will add an icon in the main menu under "Users and Groups", armed with this tool you can setup accounts and how the guest accounts react with the OS, you can select how much access the guest has with regards to network or printing and other areas of the PC!!.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

Once you set up more accounts, the login window will change and offer user names and not just the password panel!.

Thanks Wolfman..

I've installed the gnome-system-tools and run the Users and Groups. I added few users (altogether 6 users) but still, the usernames of the users are listed on the login screen.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37:34 am

Hi hasani,

I don't really think that is possible, whether a list for the users exists or you type in their name, the result is still the same, is it not!!??.

Sorry but I don't have an answer for you :oops:

hasani

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50:19 am

Thanks again Wolfman.

The reason I need to have both username and passwords to be key-in by users is that I will authenticate all users against the active directory accounts. I've managed to install likewise and joined the zorin box to our AD domain but the problem now is I can't key-in the username for the AD authentication.

Regards
Hasani

Wolfman

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:05:35 am

Hi hasani,

I am still thinking that the login screen will still show all user names, but I did find this:

http://www.linuxnix.com/2011/08/create- ... linux.html

I hope it us of use to you.

hasani

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:37:19 am

Hi Wolfman

I doubt it can make the userlist hidden on the login page.

I found this:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/07/03/disable-login-screen-user-list-ubuntu

It is for ubuntu but I couldn't find the directory specified in the article in Zorin.
Any clue?

Wolfman

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17:49 pm

Hi,

all I can find is using "Dconf-Editor" (dconf-tools):

dconf-editor > org > gnome > system-tools > users > showall

Is that what you mean!!.

hasani

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:25:54 am

Thanks to both of you. I've found the solution.

In order to hide users on the login screen, we need to edit the following file:

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

and add/edit these lines:

greeter-hide-users=true
allow-guest=false

Now I can authenticate against my active directory's domain.

BTW, what is the root's password? I need to edit /etc/sudoers file but has no permission to do that.

Wolfman

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:35:02 am

Hi hasani,

the root password is your normal root password which you assigned when you first installed, to make yourself root, press Alt + F2 and type "gksudo nautilus" then put in your password and navigate to the file as root.

tryb3

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24:50 am

This don't work on Zorin OS 8 Ultimate (editing lightdm) ; I think it because we have a zorin look changer and splash screen changer. Did someone succeded in enabling manual login on zorin OS 8 Ultimate ? what must be edited. I'm so happy to have supported a team to have a premium support access, which don't look active. I got no answer for premium support...