This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ubuntu 11.04 reaching end of life

jymm

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:00:21 pm

I read that "Canonical has reminded folks that Ubuntu 11.04 will no longer be supported after October 28th, 18 months after its launch " at http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/ubuntu- ... d-of-life/
I believe my Zorin Core 5.2 is based on Ubuntu 11.04? Does anyone know what the upgrade path is, or is a clean install of Zorin 6.0 required? If there is an upgrade path could someone give a tutorial or sticky on the path. Any info would be much appreciated.

madvinegar

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:15:50 pm

Zorin 5.2 is indeed based on ubuntu 11.04.
You would need to do a clean installation of Zorin 6.

jymm

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:36:20 pm

Solved. Sorry to hear I must do a clean install, but I certainly will. I am glad that 6.0 is based on a LTS. Now I have some work to do. I did set up a separate partition for data on my last install, that will help. Other than that it will be a snapshot of my desktop icons and a list of software I installed myself. Thanks for the quick response madvinegar.

Wolfman

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:06:21 am

Hi,

if you are doing a new install of Z6, this might interest you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

and:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

frits

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:57:24 pm

For me this will mean the end of use of Zorin 5.2 Core. As I can not run Zorin 6 on my netbook (because of the Ubuntu base used in this edition) I will have to wait until the new Zorin based on 12.10 will be launched. Ubuntu 12.10 is running fine.

In the mean time I will install Mint LMDE Mate/Cinnamon.

I will have to say goodbye with tears in my eyes. :cry:

jymm

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:18:56 am

Thanks Wolfman. I needed your tutorials. I am not sure why, but Zorin 6.0 gave me more problems after install than 5.2. After the install I could not use Synaptic or Software Center and when I tried to set the security updates like in your post, the check marks would not stay. I kept getting the error that I had not set the security updates. I was able to use your tutorials in the teminal to update every thing. It took a reboot to get things working but I was able to download and install the programs I wanted. Thanks again.

jymm

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:25:50 am

frits Sorry to hear Zorin 6.0 wil not work for you. I am not sure if it would work on a netbook, but check out SolusOS. It is debian based and light enough for old computers. There are 32 and 64 bit editions, plus legacy editions. It is a new distro, but very stable. I dual booted SolusOS on my laptop and like it as much as Zorin. It is good to know that there are options out there if one OS does not work for you. Good Luck.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solusos

hawkman

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:51:44 am

But what is bad if i want to continue with 5.2 in my compu? i know no updates available but for me is not necesary have the ultimate technology on the system, For simple task as surf online , write text etc.... i imagine the zorin 5.2 OS will be continuing doing this simples task no?

Wolfman

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:30:43 am

Hi all,

@frits, you could install Zorin 6 Lite which is supported longer!!.

@jymm, glad it helped :D :D

@Hawkeye, you can continue using Zorin 5.2 but you won't get any security or other updates so bear that in mind!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

frits

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:03:38 pm

"@frits, you could install Zorin 6 Lite which is supported longer!!."

As far as I know Z6L is based on the same Ubuntu base as the full 6.

MInt LMDE install was too difficult for me because of partitioning has to be done manually. I do not want to get problems with my original Win 7 installation.

Tried Xubuntu 12.10 but the install seemed to be corrupt. It added double disc views on the desktop and could not work with G-Parted. That gave errors. Started the Live USB from Zorin 5.2 core and now I am back again with a fresh installed 5.2 Core. :D

madvinegar

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:57:41 pm

Lubuntu 12.04 is not an LTS version, even if based on ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I think the same applies to zorin 6 lite.

frits

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:38:55 pm

Thanks for the information swarfendor437, my netbook has a normal hard disc.

I have red at a Dutch Ubuntu forum that it is a bug.