This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

software center

kodiak

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:20:22 am

Message: a few weeks ago i installed skype from a boutique type of menu. dead easy. now, with a new build and install of zorin i can\'t EVEN find the damn thing!

could Shuttleworth have made you stop using the software deal?

please level with me. i am YOUR BIGGEST FAN ARTYOM.

I am 77 and have been a fan of linux for 10 years. but.... it would never do what i needed it to.
i know not command line, but i have kept trying. i need an OS to operate thinkorswim, oanda trading platform, skype and gmail phone service. that's it!

nothing UNTIL Eric Raymond came with SuperOS. Then that wore thin when he couldn't update it. PCLinuxOS won't, Mint won't, Ubuntu won't. Nothing until Zorin and Solus. And now both are spotty. Neither retain the soft botique as far as i know. SO......WTF is an old man going to do?
i know i can't choke on microstuff.

awaiting your answer. thank you in advance.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:19:11 am

Hi,

sorry to hear you are having problems, there are indeed problems with updating under Ubuntu based systems at the moment:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3009

The link above links to the software update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Hopefully you can get all you need from the update guide, let us know exactly what it is that you are having problems with.

For Skype, open Synaptic and type "skype" in search then right click it and mark for re-installation, you should find it listed under "Internet" in the main menu!!.

Something else that might interest you:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

kodiak

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:14:03 pm

Hi, I'm back. Tried to install Skype again today. Downloaded skype-ubuntu fine. Can't install it. I haven't done much for the last few weeks because I'm set up triple boot, so I use windows for skype. But, I really prefer ZORIN to any op
system I know!! What happened to the 'software center'. That was my speed. I can't even make Synaptic work.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:12:23 pm

Hi,

open a terminal and paste this command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

Once installed, you will find in the "Internet" section of the main menu.

Let us know if it helps.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:48:41 pm

Forgot to mention:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

kodiak

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:20:30 pm

Wolfman & Swarfendor437. Thanks to both of you. I did go to the terminal and paste the magic key. It sure did a lot of stuff and then came to a blinking cursor. I didn't know what to do, so I typed 'exit'. It did and Skype never showed up on the internet or any list. That was yesterday. today I went to Synaptic and installed the Software Center. It worked. Then I tried to search for Skype in the Center and nothing would come up. I know Skype was in the Software Center that was originally with Zorin, because I did install it from there. I'm guessing Zorin took it out because of some issue Shuttleworth had. Zorin is ABSOLUTELY the BEST operating system I knoiw of, bar none. It does everything I need it to do save 2. I need Skype and I need the Telephone calling app for gmail. Not much but I wish I wasn't so ignorant in the matter.

kengator

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:11:59 am

kodiak,

FYI I have skype (Skype 4.0 for Linux) installed and working on my system. I never use it so I didn't know it was even there. Not sure where it's buried but I can find it in the search box of gnomenu. You may want to try it for yourself. Keep in mind that the items listed in gnomenu are only a subset of elements. By default not everything shows up. That's probably why you can't find it. Note that I do hate the fact that subfolders still do not show up as distinguishable from apps.

It must have come with the ultimate version of Zorin 6. Perhaps, if all else fails and you absolutely positively need it, you can install the ultimate version of Zorin 6. You'll have to update everything but that's only a one-time thing versus not being able to Skype. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

kengator

Wolfman

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35:22 am

Hi,

see this guide and change your software sources download location:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Run "dpkg" in recovery mode before fully booting and only after you have changed the location.