This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6 + NVIDIA graphics card

zasperz

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20:53 pm

Hi to all,

Have been trying to checl out the live DVD before trying an install, however, the live DVD stalls and renders a turquise and red mishmash on my monitor.
The graphics card is GeForce GTX 240 (NVIDIA) chipset.
I have tried to boot both in safe graphics and the standard but to no avail.
I also use 1 gig of ram.
Let me know if more details are needed, so I can give her a go.

Thanks

Wolfman

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:59:10 am

Hi and welcome,

1. did you burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed?, if not, reburn the disk at the slowest speed your burner and disk will allow.

2. Have you tried the "nomodeset" option?: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

zasperz

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:31:04 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi zasperz, and a warm welcome from me also. Just for clarity, is your nVidia graphics chipset on-board graphics in a desktop or a laptop?

Greetings,
It is a card installed on a desktop.

zasperz

Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34:57 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi and welcome,

1. did you burn the ISO at the slowest possible speed?, if not, reburn the disk at the slowest speed your burner and disk will allow.

2. Have you tried the "nomodeset" option?: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the reply,

Still no go ! I redownloaded an iso from the australian repository and burned the image @ the slowest burn rate X12 in Brasero.
Tried with and without "nomodeset" but continue to get the turquise and pink mishmash. no desktop yet.

zasperz

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:20:32 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi zasperz, Have you been able to try Wolfman's suggestion about 'nomodeset'? Do you still get the same issue?
My only other questions are:

1. Did you verify the md5 checksum of the .iso after download?

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

2. Have you tried the DVD on another machine to make sure the DVD is not faulty?

Tried nomodeset. When the dvd boots I edit the first entry line by adding nomodeset at the end of the other entries. Is that where it belongs ?

1. Yes. It's good
2. No. Asking for a bit too much at the moment on that one.

Anonymous

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06:44 am

zasperz wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Hi zasperz, Have you been able to try Wolfman's suggestion about 'nomodeset'? Do you still get the same issue?
My only other questions are:

1. Did you verify the md5 checksum of the .iso after download?

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

2. Have you tried the DVD on another machine to make sure the DVD is not faulty?

Tried nomodeset. When the dvd boots I edit the first entry line by adding nomodeset at the end of the other entries. Is that where it belongs ?

1. Yes. It's good
2. No. Asking for a bit too much at the moment on that one.

I can help ya with this problem. First of all you need a minimum 2gb. ram for that graphics card to even work with the Distro. Two things will cause this problem. A dirty optical drive. And also a clogged hardrive. You need to wipe the hard drive real good.. And run one of those dvd disk that has little brushes on the disk to clean the optical real good in the dvd drive. And it wouldn't hurt to use a different computer to burn another ISO to be on the safe side. I have the same graphics card on my monster machine and it works just fine. Do those two things and that should solve your problem>>>>>

zasperz

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42:22 am

I'll just put the drives in the dishwasher. that ought to get them sparkling clean,

I only use 1 gig of ram. This is going to complicate things...I might need to earn money to buy more,,,how despicable !!

Thanks, I'll let ya know.

spavila

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06:27 am

zasperz wrote:Hi to all,

Have been trying to checl out the live DVD before trying an install, however, the live DVD stalls and renders a turquise and red mishmash on my monitor.
The graphics card is GeForce GTX 240 (NVIDIA) chipset.
I have tried to boot both in safe graphics and the standard but to no avail.
I also use 1 gig of ram.
Let me know if more details are needed, so I can give her a go.

Thanks

I have the GeForce GT 240 and I also had problems installing Zorin OS 6. (See link below)

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2323#p9740

Does your motherboard have onboard graphics?? If it does, I would remove your graphics card and use the onboard graphics first. Another alternative is to go into your computer's BIOS and manipulate the video settings to tell your computer to use onboard graphics instead of your video card.

Once you have Zorin installed without your video card, then I would install the necessary NVIDIA drivers, then put your video card back in or reset your BIOS video settings back to using your video card instead of onboard graphics.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22:43 am

"@ the slowest burn rate X12 in Brasero"

Hi,

X12 is too fast, you should have a speed option of 2 or 4 X, 12 is way too fast!!.

Anonymous

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:47:13 pm

zasperz wrote:I'll just put the drives in the dishwasher. that ought to get them sparkling clean,

I only use 1 gig of ram. This is going to complicate things...I might need to earn money to buy more,,,how despicable !!

Thanks, I'll let ya know.

Just thought I'd let you know. I see this problem almost daily at my repair shop. It's easy money for me. But I don't operate my business that way. I tell the customers how to fix the problem or try before I swing into action. It saves them a chunk in repair cost by doing the simple procedure themselves. They always look at me like I'm crazy whe I tell them to do a little cleaning. But at the end they always come back to me later and say you know what you were right all a long. Thanks for the help. Being that I've been in this kind of business (computers) for right at 20 years. I kind of an expert in my field. I'm like a family primary care computer doctor around where I live to hundreds of people. You can take this how you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!