This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Speakers making Popping sound

RollTide8569

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27:55 pm

Hey, I'm new here and I need some help with Zorin 6. It makes my speakers make a popping sound every few seconds which is extremely annoying. I've googled and youtubed this and all I could find was fixes for older versions of Ubuntu like 10 and 11. So I don't know what to do.

I'm running Windows 7 and Zorin 6 dual booted on my lap top, and I've had problems with W7 lately (recently lost my sound for some reason and it takes for ever to boot up and shut down) So I want to start using Zorin more.

So Please help me get rid of my Speaker Pop! Thanks!!

Wolfman

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:47:27 am

Hi,

please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Also make sure your system is up-to-date which may solve the problem but you said you lost sound in Windows which isn't a good sign!!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

If you are using Zorin 6, please see this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

If you are still having problems with Windows, you should run "CHKDSK" which might be able to repair your Windows problem, see:

http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

Under Linux, select the "Recovery" option in the boot menu and run "FSCK" which is the Linux version of CHKDSK.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:57:12 am

Madvinegar to the rescue.
Open terminal and write:
Code:
sudo gedit /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/intel-audio-powersave

Find the line that says
INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=${INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE:-true}

Put a "#" sign in front of it so it becomes like this:
#INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=${INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE:-true}

And insert the following line just below it:
INTEL_AUDIO_POWERSAVE=false

Save, exit, reboot and tell me if the popping sound is gone.

RollTide8569

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58:45 am

Sup everyone! I actually forgot I made this thread and just remembered it lol

Anyway I booted into Zorin 6 a few minutes ago and didn't hear any more popping noises but I went ahead and changed the code in terminal like Madvinegar suggested. Did updates, saved the code and rebooted and I still don't hear popping any more. I hope it doesn't comeback.

Also, i fixed the sound problem in Winblows 7. It turned out I deleted something important when I was playing around w/ Revo Uninstaller. So I reinstalled my sound drivers and that fixed the problem. One of my College Computer teachers always said you can't learn anything until you blow something up, and that's what I did and I learned!

Thanks for the help