This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Grub does not load!

intelamd

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:34:11 am

hi,

Today I have installed Zorin 6 Core along with Windows XP but after installing Zorin OS no grub boot loader appeared and after some time I logged into Zorin OS. So I am unable to log into Windows XP. Kindly inform me what to do. Thanks :)

madvinegar

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:49:09 am

When booting try holding down the shift key untill you see a grub menu. Does it show up?

intelamd

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57:05 pm

madvinegar wrote:When booting try holding down the shift key untill you see a grub menu. Does it show up?

I tried this twice. The first time I pressed shift key while booting I saw a glimpse of "grub loading" but then it disappeared and the second time while I pressed shift key while booting I didn't see any glimpse of "grub loading".

madvinegar

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:02:43 pm

When it says "grub loading" you do not stop pressing on the shift key.

You must keep the shift key pressed at all times (i.e. from when the boot starts till you actually see the grub menu).
Was that they way you did it?

Other wise press the shift key repeatedly from when the boot starts till you actually see the grub menu.

If that does not work do this.
When you log into zorin, open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

In the file that will open search for the lines:
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0"
and
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Do you see them? Are the lines exactly like the above?

intelamd

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23:31 pm

madvinegar wrote:When it says "grub loading" you do not stop pressing on the shift key.

You must keep the shift key pressed at all times (i.e. from when the boot starts till you actually see the grub menu).
Was that they way you did it?

Other wise press the shift key repeatedly from when the boot starts till you actually see the grub menu.

If that does not work do this.
When you log into zorin, open terminal and write
Code:

In the file that will open search for the lines:
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0"
and
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Do you see them? Are the lines exactly like the above?

I tried again with the pressing of the shift keys twice. Once I just kept pressing the shift key but nothing happened. Then I pressed the shift key repeatedly but the result was the same. I entered the code into the terminal and I found the two lines you mentioned. They are exactly like the above.

madvinegar

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:54:56 pm

Could you run in terminal
Code:
sudo update-grub

and let me know what the outcome is?

If you see no errors, try rebooting again and see if this time you get a grub menu.

If not, let me know what the outcome is and we may re-install grub.

Neale

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16:55 pm

I had a similar issue - take a look at http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2923#p13534. Also in my recent exploration into Linux* I've found two great utilities - 'Grub Customizer' and 'Boot Repair Disk' for working through similar issues.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I can't get the flipping wireless cards in the PCs to connect. Grrrr.

* I've gotten enthusiastic about Linux since discovering 'EasyPeasy' - a distribution that has made my 2008 Asus eeePC 900 one of my favourite gadgets (whereas before it gathered dust in a corner).

intelamd

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:19:45 pm

Neale wrote:I had a similar issue - take a look at http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2923#p13534. Also in my recent exploration into Linux* I've found two great utilities - 'Grub Customizer' and 'Boot Repair Disk' for working through similar issues.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I can't get the flipping wireless cards in the PCs to connect. Grrrr.

* I've gotten enthusiastic about Linux since discovering 'EasyPeasy' - a distribution that has made my 2008 Asus eeePC 900 one of my favourite gadgets (whereas before it gathered dust in a corner).

Thanks Neale for the info. I would surely follow the above info but first lets follow madvinegar and see if that corrects the problem. Best regards. :)

intelamd

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:21:43 pm

madvinegar wrote:Could you run in terminal
Code:
sudo update-grub

and let me know what the outcome is?

If you see no errors, try rebooting again and see if this time you get a grub menu.

If not, let me know what the outcome is and we may re-install grub.

I ran the code in the terminal and I found no errors. After the process completed I closed the terminal and restarted the PC. But again I didn't see any grub menu.

madvinegar

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:03:03 am

Also try this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub

If that does not work either, please post here the contents of the file:
Code:

intelamd

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:39:00 am

madvinegar wrote:Also try this:
Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub

If that does not work either, please post here the contents of the file:
Code:

Unfortunately this too didn't work. Below are the contents of the file:

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=***" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

intelamd

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:40:20 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Don't know if it would fix it but there was an issue with five not picking up other operating systems:

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2011/06/17/z ... t-bug-fix/

I haven't tried this yet. Should I try this?

Wolfman

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:45:21 am

hi,

if all else fails, try "Boot Repair":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

Regards Wolfman

Neale

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:26:24 am

intelamd wrote:
Neale wrote:I had a similar issue - take a look at http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2923#p13534.

Thanks Neale for the info. I would surely follow the above info but first lets follow madvinegar and see if that corrects the problem. Best regards. :)

Quite right too as I'm a newbie myself. But you could try the trick I used as part of the problem diagnosis. Next time you start, after a few moments to get past the BIOS load messages, press the down arrow three or four times and press enter.

If this starts Memtest or Windows then grub is there, configured, and working. Then it is most likely a display resolution issue.

intelamd

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:49:22 am

Neale wrote:
intelamd wrote:
Neale wrote:I had a similar issue - take a look at http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2923#p13534.

Quite right too as I'm a newbie myself. But you could try the trick I used as part of the problem diagnosis. Next time you start, after a few moments to get past the BIOS load messages, press the down arrow three or four times and press enter.

If this starts Memtest or Windows then grub is there, configured, and working. Then it is most likely a display resolution issue.

Yes Neale, Memtest appeared. Also one thing I forgot to inform earlier is that "Frequency out of range" also always appears on my screen before Zorin OS starts. So what should be done? :)

Wolfman

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:27:26 am

Hi,

with the mesasge "Frequency out of range"; you need to reset your monitor, somewhere in the menu is a reset button, try that!!. Also, see the various links below, I found that simply resetting my monitor worked!!, others suggest removing the display drivers etc.

Regards Wolfman :D

http://www.gadgetcage.com/how-to-fix-mo ... m-for/928/

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/242 ... ency-range

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10747748

madvinegar

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:02:15 am

I think I found a solution.
1st Boot from live CD.
2nd Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

You will see a list of your partitions. I want you to write down the partition that says "Linux" next to it. Is it sda2? sda1?
Then in terminal write:
Code:
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/media/sda2/boot /dev/sda

Just replace sda2 (in /media/sda2/boot) with your partition name.

Let me know if it worked.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08:30 am

Hi Intelamd,

did you try "Boot Repair" as per my earlier suggestion????.

Regards Wolfman :D