This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

transferring data from 5 to 6 ?

2moldy4me

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:41:41 pm

Looks like I will soon venture into ZorinOS 6, but I have ALOT of stuff I use in 5 that I do not wish to be without.

How does one transfer their stuff from 5 to 6 ?
Is it OK to just copy the entire home folder, or will that mess up the newer OS version ?
And if it is not OK, what must be excluded to make it work correctly, please ?

I have personalized Firefox, Thunderbird and have emails, bookmarks, documents and other files which I need to transfer; please teach me the right way to do this ?

Thanks.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44:25 pm

Hi,

to save your FireFox bookmarks, open FF and click on "Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import And Backup > Backup and save the file to an external drive. (USB stick or whatever).

For Thunderbird, open home and press "Crtl + h" which will show hidden files, copy and paste the Thunderbird folder to the same stick, copy and paste any other files and folders in the same manner.

When you copy and paste the Thunderbird folder, make sure you are showing the hidden files with Ctrl + h and when asked if you want to replace the folder which is already there, say yes!!, you must start Thunderbird at least once on the new system so the folder will show!!!!!.

You can copy and paste basically any files in the same manner!!. Photos, films etc!!.

Say for example you have 30 photo folders in the photo main folder, open the folder and click once in an empty space, then press Ctrl + a which will mark all the files, then Ctrl + c which will copy all the files, navigate to the target folder and click once in an empty space and press Ctrl + v which will paste all the files/folders you just copied into that new folder.

Regards Wolfman :D

2moldy4me

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:57:44 pm

Thanks Wolfman, I understand what you say here.
Your description is a bit short of what I desire because I want my whole Firefox, if possible.
I have personalized Firefox alot, and do not wish to do this all over again...

Also, is there harm in just copying the entire home folder, hidden files and all ???
This is why I originally asked:
Is it OK to just copy the entire home folder, or will that mess up the newer OS version ?
And if it is not OK, what must be excluded to make it work correctly, please ?

Thanks.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:42:43 am

Hi,

you can copy your firefox folder as you can thunderbird but I don't recommend copying the whole of the home folder.

That said, if you feel like a challenge, you can install Z6 over z5 without formatting your /home using the "Something Else" method at the install window, backup all your files first and when asked what you want to do, select root for formatting but not your /home, you still have to mark it for useage though.

I cannot say whether this will cause a headache or two for you but it would keep all your original folders in your /home, it should overwrite the sys files, I cannot say that this will work 100 pro!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCHsgry2RQ

http://www.techspot.com/community/topic ... 10.172128/

Backup all your files just in case!!!!!!!!!!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

2moldy4me

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:08:52 pm

Gentlemen - I thank you for this clear and concise info.
It is a shame that the upgrade path is not easier/simpler for existing users - and it will take some serious time to do it right, and might have severe problems which can be very discouraging.

Most likely I will do it, but I cannot in all honesty say that I am looking forward to this activity.
Thanks.