This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

LibreOffice Calc Page Format Question

agm

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:46:53 am

Hello all,

I went to the LO site and read the manual and looked for some info regarding this issue; however, I couldn't find anything. I'm hoping that someone in this forum can help with this issue.

I created a spreadsheet in Calc that I want to print on a 4x6 index card. I went to Format > Page and on the Page tab there is no Format for 4x6 index card. So I set the Width to 4", Height to 6" and chose Portrait. I was able to get the output I wanted to the index card. I saved and closed the file.

A short time later, I reopened the file and noticed that the Page Format reverted back to the default, 8.5" x 11"

I assumed that when I saved the file, the user page format would be saved.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal for LO Calc?

Thanks in advance.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:29:32 am

hi,

open Synaptic and type "libreoffice" in search and mark the main package for installation and try again, it is not installed by default and that may be the answer!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

agm

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:32:28 pm

I first tried swarfendor437's suggestion and used A6 as the page format, saved the file and then reopened the file to see that the issue remained and the A6 setting was not saved.

I then tried Wolfman's suggestion to reload the LO main package via Synaptic. After the install I rebooted. I then opened my file, set the page format to A6, saved the file and then reopened it.

The results were mixed. The A6 setting remained for several iterations of opening and closing the file; however, the page format ultimately reverted to the default 8.5” x 11”. I can't say how many openings/closings were performed before it lost the A6 setting.

This is probably not a Zorin issue and is most likely a LO issue. I'll try their forum.

Thanks for the help.

agm

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:47:22 pm

So far the file that I last saved with an A6 page format has stayed an A6 format, after numerous openings and closings of that file.

I can't explain it why it's "sticking" now and not before.

If someone came to me today and described the same problem, I'd recommend that they reinstall the LO package with Synaptic. If I no longer experience problem, that would have been the only thing that changed on the system.

Now if I can only resolve my VirtualBox problems

Time will tell. Thanks for the help and input.

agm

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56:19 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:No problem! Just to add further, I know that 6 comes with 3.5 - I installed Y-ppa manager which asked for a partial upgrade and it installed LO 3.6! and a host of other updates including the 3.5.01 kernel!

Being a Linux newbie, I conceptually understand your post.

With that said, a google search later I went ahead and installed Y PPA Manager 0.0.9.0. I mean, what could I possibly break :roll:

I added the libreoffice/ppa and then clicked Install Packages in Y PPA. The return message indicated there was a failure and that I could already be on the most current version of the software (I'm at 3.5.4.2, which is lower than the 3.6 you mention, but your PPA might be something than the generic libreoffice/ppa). I'm not freaked out about this message and I just need to play with this a little more.

My question is...
...does this PPA manager work with or independently from the previous ppa changes that I made in the Update Manager? I would think it best to manage these PPA changes using only one methodology.

Is my logic off base?