This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to change simple gdm greeter background

kenn

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:02:48 am

Hi everybody,
This is my first post. I have ZorinOS 5.2 64 bit version, I tried to use ubuntu-tweaker to change login background with no luck, I tried a number of other things such as gconf-editor "sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set --type string --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/yourusername/Pictures/wallpaper.jpg" and gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties method, none of them worked except "sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/" method. I wonder how to change login background easily.
Thanks

kenn

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56:27 am

@swarfendor437 thank you very much for responding, unfortunately it has nothing to do with my question, your link is related to bootsplash, I meant login simple gdm greeter background.

kenn

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:08:06 pm

I found location of login background image; /var/lib/gdm/.cache/wallpaper/zoom_1280_800__usr_share_backgrounds_Frozen Lake.jpg so I can replace it.

kenn

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01:41 am

Hi swarfendor437 , I found a solution at least but I still wonder why ubuntu-tweaker doesn't work, it looks like mint 11, I need a tool to change login background, if I find a solution I ll post it here. Thank you

Wolfman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:06:12 am

Hi Ken,

you can try installing "gnome-system-tools" which gives you far more control over user accounts, once installed; you will find it under "Users and groups" in the main menu.

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

see also:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

Regards Wolfman :D

kenn

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18:08 am

Hi Wolfman, It's pre-installed, I checked it out, there is no setting in it to change login background.
Thanks anyway

madvinegar

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20:22 am

swarfendor437 wrote:
Please be awarre that your version of Zorin is due to end in April 2013 as I believe it is based on 'Oneric Ocelot' - Ubuntu 11.10.

Zorin 5.2 is based on ubuntu 11.04. The support for 11.04 ends October 2012 (i.e. now).

I think that Zorin 5 LITE is based on ubuntu 11.10.