This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Missing dock

rmcellig

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:16:34 pm

I am using Zorin Lite 6. I accidentally quit the dock that appears on the bottom of my screen. How can i reactivate it? I tried clicking on Akonaditray from the Accessories menu but nothing happens.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:13:24 pm

Hi,

I don't use LXDE but you can try this in a terminal:

lxpanelctl restart

or

killall lxpanel && lxpanel --profile Lubuntu

I don't know if this will work, you can look for further help here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

Regards Wolfman :D

rmcellig

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:36:32 pm

I forgot that I logged in using the Mac OS X scheme. It's the dock like thing along the bottom of the screen that quit.

rmcellig

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:55:41 am

I didn't try rebooting yet. I was hoping to fix the problem before rebooting so that I can figure out how to solve this problem.

I will reboot though and post back. Another option I was thinking of was to use docky instead of the dock that loads. I could switch back to the Windows 2000 view, get rid of the bottom panel and put docky there instead. Just me thinking outloud :).

Wolfman

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:45:16 am

Hi,

that is "Docky" in the Mac Look, open ""Startup Applications" and take a look as to whether Docky is showing in the list, if it isn't.

Startup Applications > Add > Browse > File System > Usr > Bin > Docky, give it a name and click on "Add".

rmcellig

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08:50 am

Actually I just checked and what they are using is Adeskbar. I can't seem to find this app anywhere so that I can restart it. Any ideas? If I launch the command adeskbar from the terminal, as soon as I close the terminal, the bar quits as well. I would consider this normal as it is launched from the terminal.

rmcellig

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45:18 am

I just found a file in usr/share/adeskbar called main.py. When I double click on it, it launches the dock at the bottom of my screen so that's good. When I double click on this file it presents a window offering to execute in terminal or just execute. How can I get the main.py file to just execute without having this window displaying all the time.

madvinegar

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:47:03 pm

WM, is there a startup applications app in Zorin Lite?
If not try this.
In terminal write
Code:
sudo leafpad /etc/rc.local

and add the line
main.py

Just above the last line which says "exit 0".

Save, reboot and see if the dock is loaded on startup.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55:06 am

Hi,

sorry, I don't use it and thought it was "Docky".

Found this:

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCMan%27s_Compl ... etup_Guide

I don't don't see anything about the taskbar (bottom panel) though????, you can try reading the FAQ's on the left, you might find something there!.

Hope it helps.

I know I don't need to ask this but I will, have you fully updated the system????:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... _Questions