This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Suspend Issue

agm

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21:49 am

At the onset, I'm running Zorin OS6 Ultimate. I've opened up a few trouble reports with Zorin technical support for issues that I sense are greater than me being new to Linux and beyond user error. These are issues that I interpret as being OS issues.

So I assume that all Zorin OS6 users experience the issue of the application list becoming "confused" and jumbled after they install a new application.

For the experienced forum members I ask if this assumption correct?

Another problem I have is that my computer does not wake from suspend mode. So I need to do a full shutdown when I step away. I was told that this was specific to my computer model (see below signature). I assume that all Zorin OS6 users that have the same computer model with the same specs/parts have the same issue.

Again, I ask the experienced forum members in the community if my assumption is correct and if they know of any solutions or work arounds that Zorin support may not be aware of.

Understand that I'm not doubting Zorin support. Sometimes the larger user community has work arounds not yet developed, tested, operationalized or supported by the developers.

Thanks again.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57:54 am

Hi agm,

have you updated to the latest kernel?? Are your software sources set including "Proposed Updates" ??.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

and try running the part about "dpkg" in the broken files section of the guide and let us know if it helps, there is a bug in earlier kernels!!.

Please also take a bit of time to look through the post instal guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:12:18 am

It must be an Nvidia bug.
A workaround might be the following:
Go to System Settings/Brightness and Lock and remove the lock after suspend. See if it works.

Or another workaround I found is the following (by creating a script).
Step1. Create the script. Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd

A file will open.
Step 2. Copy inside it the following script
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#inspired by http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...0&postcount=19
#...and http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18...ot-working-bug
# tidied by tqzzaa :)
VERSION=1.1
DEV_LIST=/tmp/usb-dev-list
DRIVERS_DIR=/sys/bus/pci/drivers
DRIVERS="ehci xhci" # ehci_hcd, xhci_hcd
HEX="[[:xdigit:]]"
MAX_BIND_ATTEMPTS=2
BIND_WAIT=0.1

unbindDev() {
    echo -n > $DEV_LIST 2>/dev/null
    for driver in $DRIVERS; do
        DDIR=$DRIVERS_DIR/${driver}_hcd
            for dev in `ls $DDIR 2>/dev/null | egrep "^$HEX+:$HEX+:$HEX"`; do
            echo -n "$dev" > $DDIR/unbind
            echo "$driver $dev" >> $DEV_LIST
        done
    #for bus in $EHCI_BUSES; do
    echo -n $bus > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind
    # done
    done
}
bindDev() {
    if [ -s $DEV_LIST ]; then
    while read driver dev; do
        DDIR=$DRIVERS_DIR/${driver}_hcd
        #for bus in $EHCI_BUSES; do
        echo -n $bus > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/bind
        #done
            while [ $((MAX_BIND_ATTEMPTS)) -gt 0 ]; do
                echo -n "$dev" > $DDIR/bind
                if [ ! -L "$DDIR/$dev" ]; then
                    sleep $BIND_WAIT
                else
                    break
                fi
                MAX_BIND_ATTEMPTS=$((MAX_BIND_ATTEMPTS-1))
            done
        done < $DEV_LIST
    fi
    rm $DEV_LIST 2>/dev/null
    chvt 1
    chvt 7
}
EHCI_BUSES="0000:00:1a.0 0000:00:1d.0"
case "$1" in
    hibernate|suspend)
    unbindDev;;
    resume|thaw)
    bindDev;;
esac

Save and exit.
Step3. Give executable rights to the script. Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo chmod 755 /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd

That's it.
Reboot, and test if your laptop wakes up after suspend.

agm

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:51:42 pm

Madvinegar,
I first tried the "Lock/Unlock" method. The result was no change in my "Suspend" issue.

Thanks to your detailed instruction, I then tried the "Script" method.

Now when I click "Suspend", the screen goes black, the power light stays lit and I can hear the fan running. I am able to reboot by pressing the power button to power off and then pressing the power button a second time to power up.

Is there a way to deactivate the script so I can restore the issue to the prior state?

Thanks

agm

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10:12 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi agm,

have you updated to the latest kernel?? Are your software sources set including "Proposed Updates" ??.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

and try running the part about "dpkg" in the broken files section of the guide and let us know if it helps, there is a bug in earlier kernels!!.

Please also take a bit of time to look through the post instal guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Hi Wolfman,
Latest kernel?? How do I tell what kernel I have and what kernel is available? Don't hurt yourself laughing, when I said I was a Linux newbie, I wasn't exagerrating. :D

I was apprehensive to select "Proposed Updates" because the word "Proposed" slightly strikes a fear in my heart when I'm in an environment I don't quite get - yet.

I did go through 2247 & 2054 when I did my latest install a week or so ago. I saw the nVidia instructions and, again, got a little nervous. I don't have a sense of how dangerous those steps are. Many years ago, in the M$ world, a couple of times I had done FW updates and rendered the device useless. That's why I shied away from performing any of the nVidia instruction. It would be upsetting to permanently disable the display on this laptop.

I have done the "dpkg" in the broken files section of the guide a few times with no improvement.

Thanks again.

madvinegar

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59:55 am

After you have enabled the script, if you just press slightly on the power button (not continuesly), doesn't the laptop wake up from suspend?

If you want to de-activate the script, you can just delete it.
Code:
sudo rm /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-ehci_hcd

Wolfman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28:47 am

Hi agm,

to check what kernel you have, post this command in a terminal:

uname -a

You will end up with a report like this:

wolfman@fred:~$ uname -a
Linux fred 3.2.0-32-generic-pae #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 26 21:54:23 UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
wolfman@fred:~$

and you should have the latest like me (ver: 3.2.0-32-generic-pae which is for the 32 Bit version of Zorin).

You don't need to be fearful of using proposed updates, I use them all the time and don't have problems. Ditto for the Nvidia PPA.

Let us know how you get on.