This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 6 core of 32 bits is...

Kuriboh

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53:08 am

almost impossible to use in my laptop.

specs:
- intel core 2 duo T5750
- 3GB of memory
- intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

problems that I remember:
- can't change user's image
- can't change keyboard preferences
- *sound not working
- *GnoMenu doesn't show anything
- *I can't see anything (literally)
- *Everything is multi language (spanish and english mixed)

"*" means after atempting to install updates, languages etc.

things I've tried to do:
- reinstall Zorin like 5 times lol
- trying this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2247

what do You sugesst guys?
trying Zorin OS for 64 bits?
Could that be the reason of my problems?

Wolfman

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:36:18 am

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't, this may be the reason why you are having some problems!!, re-burn the disk at the slowest speed and try installing again !!.

You read the guide about updating, did you run "dpkg" from the recovery menu per the guide???.

Try changing your software download location and try the language set-up again:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

Kuriboh

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:03:32 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't, this may be the reason why you are having some problems!!, re-burn the disk at the slowest speed and try installing again !!.

yes I did

Wolfman wrote:You read the guide about updating, did you run "dpkg" from the recovery menu per the guide???.

I ran "dpkg" inmeadiately after the installation ended as you suggested, but just after doing that the black screen problem happened after logging in

Wolfman wrote:Try changing your software download location and try the language set-up again:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699

Let us know how you get on.
Wolfman wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Kuriboh, and welcome to the Zorin forum!

1. What make and model of laptop do you have?

2. Did you run the md5 checksum utility as outlined here on your downloaded iso?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1955

3. What software did you use to burn the disc?

4. Have you tried the disc in another machine?

I used Nero XD
No, I haven't tried the disc in other pc

OKOK guys thanks for your fast support

I used the "md5 cheksum utility" and both, my 32 and 64 iso files seem to be ok. Then I proceed to burn the image with ImgBurn at the lowest speed but the OS had exactly the same problems after installing it.
As my last resort I burned the 64 bit version and surpringsly everything is better. At the moment of writing this updates work, Language installed succesfully, no more sound problems, no more black screens but still... there are some things I don't understand.

- How do I change my user's image? aparently I do everything as supposed but GnoMenu doesn't show it. Do I have to logout to see the changes?
- After restarting the system for the language to be applied I noticed in the boot menu (don't know exactly how to name it) that it was showing Ubuntu instead of Zorin. Also in the logging screen it shows Ubuntu. Does this mean I did something wrong in the updates? :lol:

Once again, thanks for the support =)

Wolfman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42:06 am

Hi,

well glad to hear you have it up and running.

As far as I know, you cannot change your own user details unless you create another account and then adjust it using the new account. (could be wrong there but I cannot find anything about it!)

Is your screen still blanking??, do you have an Nvidia GPU??, see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Have you installed the GPU drivers??:

System settings > Hardware > Addtional drivers

Try running the dist-upgrade command, see update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

What about your software sources, have you tried changing the download location??.

Let us now how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

Kuriboh

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:33:34 pm

Guys thanks a lot for your support. After that weekend I gave up on Zorin since I had to return it to my brother. I ended up installing Ubuntu and he seems to be happy with it
Anyways I'm planning on installing Zorin on my lap and desktop soon. I'll check your sugestions

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Kuriboh, Just uploaded a video on how to change your user icon in the Win 7 Menu:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v38541921Thmfpfey

that's exactly what I was doing with the user icon but it wasn't working

swarfendor437 wrote:With regard to the other stuff, I hope it wasn't an Ubuntu upgrade that took place!

it was indeed :lol: