This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] gdm-simple-greeter mouse unresponsive

kenn

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:30:24 pm

Hi people,
I have ZorinOS 5.2 version of Natty 64 bit (Ubuntu). I set up 5 seconds delayed autologin, while starting-up, mouse is freezing on simple gdm greeter and I can't move pointer on the screen till desktop is loaded, I inserted 30 seconds of sleep in the script at /etc/gdm/Init/default, delayed login works but it also keeps me waiting 30 seconds on every logout. I installed bootchart, it stops freezing but it consumes so much CPU for a few minutes. I hope you help me.
All the best.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:21:55 pm

Hi,

try fully updating your system and see if that helps, if you are asked to replace files, say yes!.

See also the part about running "dpkg" in the broken files section:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

An alternative is a direct install of LDM from here, install the all deb package:

http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-mai ... l.deb.html

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

kenn

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:54:49 am

@Wolfman, thank you for being so kind as to have replied to my topic. I tried your instructions, it only upgraded firefox, I restarted and mouse froze again. I thought of installing LDM but I need onscreen keyboard to run at login screen, LDM doesn't provide accessibility at login, am I wrong?
I wonder what is preventing mouse to hang at GDM login screen, it works fine at fresh installation of ZorinOS

Wolfman

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:14:05 pm

Hi,

try installing the app:

gpointing-device-settings

and see if you can change some of the parameters of the mouse, if it cordless, you may have a problem but I can't be sure about that!!.

kenn

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55:19 am

Wolfman, I am sorry that it didn't work, It can be fixed by manuplating bootup process or backlisting devices, I have no idea how to do that.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:14:09 pm

Hi,

is your mouse a bluetootth device or standard USB/PS2??,

if it is bluetooth, mayber a couple of extra packages might help, install these via a terminal:

sudo apt-get install bluetooth blueman

"bluetooth" (bluetooth support) and " blueman" (bluetooth GUI)

If it is USB, try moving to a different USB port and reboot!!.

kenn

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43:35 pm

Hi Wolfman, I'm grateful to you, you reply me. It's an ordinary USB "5 button optical mouse with scroll wheel" I did another clean installation on the other partition, it boots up well, so it's notUSB port issue. I don't have enough skill to track the bug down.
Regards.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:29:30 am

kenn wrote:Hi Wolfman, I'm grateful to you, you reply me. It's an ordinary USB "5 button optical mouse with scroll wheel" I did another clean installation on the other partition, it boots up well, so it's notUSB port issue. I don't have enough skill to track the bug down.
Regards.

Hi,

did your new install solve the problem????.

Do you now have Zorin installed twice and do you still need assistance??.

Did you fully update per my suggestion earlier??.

kenn

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:51:32 am

Hi people, I have good news, it doesn't freeze anymore, I hope it's everlasting. I played with so many settings and reinstalled applications that I don't know which one worked. I list below which apps I installed and reinstalled.
gnome, gnome-desktop-environments, gnash, dbus-1dbg libmathew-debug-java, dbus-java-bin, libsdl-pango1, packagekit-gtk-module, libcairo2-dbg, libpangomm-1.4-dbg, libpango1.0-0-dbg, ttf-unfonts-extra, libsdl-ttf2.0-0
Hi swarfendor437, it's Laptop Acer Aspire 5715z
Hi Wolfman, I didn't reinstall my current ZorinOS, I installed the same OS onto the other partition to test if it works well.
Thank you very much guys, I met nice people here.
Have a good day.
Regards.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:40:10 pm

Hi Kenn,

glad to hear it is working, I have marked this thread as solved.

Funny that you installed the "gnome" package, I swaer by it myself, it seems to aid the OS, another I also install is "kde-full" as Zorin has a lot of KDE stuff too.

kenn

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:42:46 pm

I found the culprit at last, it's ureadahead deamon, whenever I try it, my comp freezes. I have no doubt it's ureadahead. I wanted to let you know.