This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Desktop icons disappeared

goggz56

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:39:26 am

Earlier today all of my desktop icons were showing up, now they are missing. I even restarted my laptop and they are still missing. Is there a fix to this or should I just add the icons to the desktop manually? Thanks

Wolfman

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:20:28 am

Hi,

what version of Zorin are you using??.

Have you messed around with "dconf editor"??.

dconf editor > org > gnome > nautilus > desktop > and put the ticks in the boxes, you may have to drag the other icons to the desktop.

did you change the your desktop using "Zorin Look Chnager" ??.

Regards Wolfman :D

goggz56

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05:36 pm

No, I haven't messed with any of it. But i'll give that a try. And I'm using V6

goggz56

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:50:24 pm

Wolfman, I tried what you suggested and it did not work. Any other ideas? I'd hate to go through the process of having to uninstall Zorin and reinstall.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:06:45 pm

Hi,

I would first start with updating and see if it corrects itself:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Otherwise I can only suggest you re-do your desktop icons, sorry but I don't have another answer for you!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

goggz56

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:12:08 pm

I tried updating again, didn't work. I also tried to redo my desktop icons but no go. Thanks for the help though, I wanted to make sure there was nothing else that could be done before uninstalling/reinstalling Zorin.

madvinegar

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:25:31 pm

install gnome-tweak tool
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Once installed, open it (it's called "advanced settings") and in the "desktop" category make sure that the option "Have file manager handle the desktop" is set to "ON". If it is not set to "ON", set it and check if all is ok in your desktop.

goggz56

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:33:48 pm

I've already uninstalled zorin so too late for that. I'm headed to school so I haven't had the chance to reinstall. If something like this happens again I'll try your recommendation, Madvinegar.