This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Sharing /home with another linux OS

domzolo

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:07:11 am

Hi,

I recently installed Zorin 6 on a new partition. I already have my home directory (/home/username) on a separate partition which contains a lot of files I need. I also have a third partition with Ubuntu 12.04.

The Ubuntu install currently uses the /home/username directory as my home directory on Ubuntu.
As does Zorin... or at least that was the idea. It works and I can read the files, but the problem is Zorin's interface is completely messed up, presumably because of my existing Ubuntu/unity desktop configurations. e.g. I only see a dock type panel at the bottom of the screen and no menu bars.

If I add a new user to Zorin it works perfectly so my Zorin install is ok - it's just the user configuration.

I tried ubuntu-tweak and setting everything (theme etc). to Zorin OS, but it didn't really fix things. I can't get the windows-like panel at the bottom.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can use Zorin with my existing /home/username and have a 'fresh' Zorin desktop?
I am not too bothered if the existing ubuntu desktop is messed up in the process (although it would be better if it wasn't). I need to keep the ubuntu install stable at least - and I need to keep the files in /home/username.

Thanks!

Domzolo

Wolfman

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48:01 pm

Hi Domzolo,

problem with sharing the same home is the config files, each OS wants the upperhand, I recommend you create seperate homes and auto mount them.

I know this is not a solution but more a suggestion, otherwise I think your desktop appearance will get screwed up all the time!!.

See also:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/168759/c ... r-linux-os

Regards Wolfman :D

domzolo

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:03:52 pm

Hi Wolfman,

Many thanks for the suggestion - I expect you are right, that's the only sensible option. I've shared it the home dir before, but usually between two Ubuntus so there was a bit of contention between configs but not much. I'll look into auto-mounting some shared space.

Much appreciated,
Domzolo