This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Partition help

jios

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:59:48 am

I am new in Linux and this one confuses me. Please help me in here. Hopefully you see this image clearly because when I save it in Zorin and access in Windows, it can't display the file so I took it on my phone instead because Chrome can't connect in Zorin.

As you can see, I have three OSes and three back-up drives. I want to install the Zorin in the sdb6 (that is the 500GB Hard Disk No OS) and choose the WIndows 7 Loader because that is where I edit the Boot Options using EasyBCD. But this message box keeps popping out. Can you please help me on how to configure the correct one?

Wolfman

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:05:58 am

Hi,

please see this guide and let us know how you get on.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

For Linux you need to have 3 different partitions, 1 root which is for the system files, 1 swap which supports the system RAM, 1 home which is where all your files and data will be stored.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards Wolfman :D

jios

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25:47 am

What about using USB in Live Mode? Are there crucial changes? My DVD-RW isn't connected in my CPU so I only have to install it from a USB stick.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:45:04 am

Hi,

you can do the partitioning with Gparted which is install in the live version of Zorin 6 already, boot the disk and go to > Menu > System Tools > Administration > Gparted and make your changes to your partitions.

Be sure to back-up all your data on all your drives in case things go wrong!!, you will be asked to verify the changes made to the partitions before you finally commit, be sure when you click commit that you mean it!!, once it starts running (the partitioner), you shouldn't stop it otherwise you can cause real damage to your drive!!.

Be sure to fully boot the live CD and test the internet, sound and generally make sure it is running before you commit to an install!!.

jios

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34:59 pm

Ok thanks. Last question. What if there's a power outage when the operation is still in progress? Will my hard disk be permanently destroyed?

Wolfman

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59:37 pm

Hi,

most likely, what degree of damage though; I cannot say, I must admit; it is a strange question, have you problems with the electrics in your home??.

jios

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:49:09 pm

Yeah I know that that was a strange question. We occassionally have power shortage in our area and we don't know the time and date when they turn off their so-called "switch" due to inspections or improving their posts. I live in a third-world country so this really happens. I'm afraid that after I confirm the partition, there will be a power outage. How many minutes do the partitioning operation last after I click the confirm?

Wolfman

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14:59 pm

Hi,

now you have explained, your question isn't so strange!!.

The speed of operations depends on your PC's speed, how much RAM, your CPU and so on, if I were to resize and create partitions on my 2.3GhZ rig which also has 4GB RAM, it would still take 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of my partitions that I am resizing, the resizing is the slow part.

Good luck anyway!!.

jios

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48:58 pm

LOL I thought that there will be another "partition-finalizing" operation after making all changes in the partition. I was so scared because of that. What happened was it is actually doing the thing one-by-one, not all at once. I'm just dumb.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:22:20 am

Hi,

glad to hear it is working now :D