This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Chrome Unable To Connect To Other Sites

jios

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:34:04 pm

I just installed Zorin OS 6. I opened Chrome but it does not connect to any sites besides Google. It's connected to my wireless network before. I downloaded Chrome update from the App Center (?) but it still doesn't work. Then I messed up with the connection settings and deleted Network connection 1. Is that a preset or I created one? I didn't remember.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:21:32 am

Hi,

if you are using Wifi, right click the network icon and "Edit Connections" and then then on Wifi and add, you set the parameters yourself, your just need your wifi ID which should be on the router and the password which should also be there!!, tick "Connect Automatically" anfd for all users" and save when you are finished.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkDevices

Regards Wolfman :D

jios

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40:02 am

The wireless connection 1 doesn't add up in the connections list and when I edit connections, it says never. I deleted my wired connection but still it creates Auto Ethernet instead of connecting it in wireless. It still connects in Google but in other sites, no. This is my first Linux OS and I am very dismayed. There are lots of problems and it annoys me :(

Even terminal don't let my type my password after typing any sudo operation.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:30:40 am

Hi,

you have to remove the network cable before the wifi will work on its own!!, take out the network cable and try setting your wifi again!!. (It will auto connect to the cable connection if the network cable is attached!!!!)

jios

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:11:39 pm

But why does it connect to only google and not other sites?

Wolfman

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:15:37 pm

Hi,

it is only working with Google because you most likely have that set as your homepage, can you actually search Google by typing something in the search bar; or does that not work either, you are most likely only getting as far as your router, does your router work under Windows??.

jios

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:01:10 am

Yeah I know. Google knows us more than our friends and family. Even facebook and apple.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:31:45 am

Hi,

you didn't answer my question, can you connect to other sites??.

jios

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10:23 am

Sorry. No. I still can't connect to other sites. I downloaded in Windows 7 and used Ubuntu Live to see if Zorin is the problem but it isn't. Either is Chrome. I used Firefox and went to Facebook but still, it just says "Waiting for facebook.com". I still don't know what else to do.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:38:26 am

Hi,

assuming you are still using (trying to use) your Wifi connection; have you checked that your password and SSID are correct??. (SSID is the name your router uses to identify itself to the user, it is written soemwhere on the back or bottom of the router, have you checked them both??.

Left click the network icon and see if your router id is showing in available wifi networks, also; right click the network icon and: Edit connections > Wireless > Edit and see if your wireless SSID is shown in the list, it should also be set to connect automatically and for all users!!.

See also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJvB97cmrWk

jios

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:57:07 am

Ok. The wireless router is connected to my DSL box and the box to my CPU. And yeah, I put Belkin.32AD as my SSID and since I have no password, I put it as blank and none in the Security Options.

So I guess I have to use the Wired Connection/Auto Ethernet, not the Wireless Connection.

So the Wired is either the problem, not the Wireless.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:13:17 am

Hi,

never ever select no password as anyone can access the internet via your router at will!!!!!.

If you don't have a password, make one up in the router settings, you need to search online for info about accessing the router should you not have a manual at hand (normally on the CD that came with the router).

You need a connected network cable to access the router normally by putting in the IP address of the router in the address bar of a web browser, the IP number may well be on the back of the router, you are looking for something like this:192.168.2.1 which will take you to the start page of your router settings!!.

Can you connect to the internet just using the network cable??.

jios

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46:37 am

I customized my wireless router settings and it worked in my three OSs (7 x86, XP x86 and XP x64) and I'm the only one here in our area who knows more in computer and only three homes in our area are using two wireless routers, our neighbor, ours and my cousin who are sharing the router.so I don't have to worry about it.

I also connected my PC directly to the box but still it can't connect.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:59:05 am

Hi,

do you have to enter your user name and password manually??, if you do, follow this/these guide/s:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/83869/se ... -in-ubuntu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNlHfM1HgHQ

When you tried the live CD, did you manage to connect to the internet without any problem, try running the live CD again and see if it works!!.

jios

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:18:02 pm

I don't have username and password.

That's the real problem. Even Firefox in the Ubuntu Live USB really can't connect to the internet.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:29:40 pm

hi,

sorry; then I cannot help you further, you are the only person in the world that doesn't have a username and password, you need to talk to your Internet Service Provider (ISP/Telephone Services Provider) for info on how to connect using Linux, how do you connect via Windows??, how does your cousin connect??.

jios

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:12:12 pm

What username and password do you mean? The one you need to connect to the windows? I'm afraid that we have a different kind of DSL here than most of the other places. You really just plug it in, no further settings so I don't have a username and password that you are asking rather than Administrator or the username Jios. About the wireless router, I just let someone connect to my router named "FBI Surveillance Van" without any password at all so I really don't know what you mean by that.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:09:01 am

Hi,

each ISP (where I live anyway) normally sends you a user name and password with your router package in order that they know who is accessing their network server as one of their customers, this info; is normally (should be) put directly in the router via the routers setup page which is accessed via the web browser with the router IP.

If you cannot connect, I suspect that you need to put this info somewhere in the router or via PPPOE as sugggested before.

Please send me a link to the homepage of your ISP.

Here is a typical username in Germany: wolfman@t-online.de Password: 123456789

Both of which are put in seperate boxes!!.

jios

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:01:18 am

Our ISP doesn't have something like that. Our internet here isn't as advanced as yours. Anyway, here's the link of my ISP.

https://www.pldt.com.ph/products/consumers/internet

Wolfman

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:12:46 am

Hi,

thanks for the link but it doesn't help me at all, I would try calling their support line to see if they have a simple answer for you, I really cannot say anything further at this moment in time!!.

I looked here:

http://www.pldt.com.ph/support/consumer ... LFAQs.aspx

But found nothing!!.

jios

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:46:05 pm

OK. I just run a Live Mode of Zorin in my cousin's old laptop. The wireless worked. I guess it doesn't support my ethernet cable/box.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:21:39 pm

Hi,

have you tried Zorin Core 5??, the only problem is it won't be supported for much longer, it does have more or less the same requirements as ZorinOS Core 6 which you might also want to try, the problem with the lite versions is they simply lack a lot of software which is most likely your problem.

Let us know what you decide.

jios

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44:21 pm

@swarfendor437: Yeah, that's what I did. I know that it would work on wireless mode but my desktop is the server and I don't have a wireless dongle. I just connect to the two RJ45's. One from CPU to the wireless router and the other one is from wireless router to the Internet Box. So in this case, Zorin (and Microsoft) will not detect wireless but will detect "Wired Connection". But that Wired Connection is the one that's not connecting to the internet. I just says waiting. If I actually don't have internet at all, Chrome would just say "The page cannot be displayed." or similar descriptions immediately but it would take more than 10 minutes or more before it says "The server took too long to respond." or blah blah.

@Wolfman: Seems I would just try Zorin 5 and know if Chrome connects to the internet.

Thanks for your help.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48:37 pm

Hi,

good luck and let us know what happens please!!.