This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cant get zorin 6 to install

Shawnw

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:30:49 am

I have 2 systems. I have an AMD fx4100 with 2x2gig of ram, asrock 880GM-LE FX motherboard and a 320 Gig harddrive. I downloaded the basic 64 bit file and burned it on a DVD. It installed just fine on this system. My problem is with my AMD 8150, asrock 990FX Extreme 4 motherboard, with 2x4Gig of ram, and 2x2TB Harddrives. I used the same DVD on this system. It boots and asks to install of boot from the cd. If I choose to install direct it begins to copy files for about 75 seconds (I timed it). Then the blue z screen with the spinning circles just stops and the system locks up. If I try to boot from the DVD it read the disk for about 75 seconds and just stops as well. I also transfered the ISO file to a USB drive. It boots to main menu but no matter what I choose it locks up immediately! I know the DVD and ISO files are good they worked on the other computer. I think it might be ther Motherboard or the bios settings but I have no clue. Any help would be great.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:32:52 am

Hi,

have you tried "nomodeset" ??:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Have you booted in safe graphics mode which is one of the options in the boot menu??.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

Shawnw

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:51:16 pm

THANX WOLFMAN. i forgot to mention I have an nvidia 210 graphics card. I used the F6 option and had to turn off the nomodset, noapic, no lapic, and acpi=off to get ubuntu 12.10 to intall. oh, the 2x2tb haddrives are not raid. However, in the process of installing ubunto I had to create a boot partition, a swap partition, and an ubunto partition. i was hopeing to preserve windows vista on the machine but ubunto destroyed windows vista. everythin important was on the other drive thankfully.

now i downloaded the nvidia linux 64 drivers as a *.run file. How do I install the drivers? I right clicked and changed the properties in "permission" tab to 'allow executing file as program". the program ran in "terminal mode" and nvidia said must be run as root???

also I have a belkin wireles pci card. How do i install drivers for it too???

oh and thankx everyone for the help

Wolfman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:16:44 pm

Hi,

see this guide about Nvidia cards, you can add the Nvidia PPA and save yourself a major headache by using the terminal to install the Nvidia drivers!!!!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Vista is no longer supported anyway; which is no great lose to mankind!!.

Shawnw

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:33:10 pm

ubuntu no longer boots up any more after installing nvidia drivers. i am going to try using swarfendor437's "multisystem". if that doesn't work....well F__K IT!!! Windows vista is going back on untill I get and AMD Graphics card. I kind of want one anyway. I've got zorin on my other system I'll use it instead.

thankx for the help
I have had 0 linux experiance untill now

Wolfman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57:21 pm

Hi Shawn,

if you haven't already erased Linux, you can try to recover the system using the "dpkg" update method, see this guide in the section "Broken Files":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Then reboot afterwards using "Ctrl + Alt + Del".