This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) broadcom wireless driver install

rbhebron

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:23:10 pm

im having problems with the installation of the built-in broadcom STA MCM4313 wifi drivers... i have used the system tools> system settings> additional drivers option to check for any additional drivers and it did recognized the wifi device... so i activated and installed it.. so used the wifi connection... but when i shutdown the system, it no longer recognize the device... how come..? i checked the additional drivers again and it showed that it is active...? what seemed to be the problem..? i decided to de-activate the driver and re-activate it again... so i was able to use the wifi again... but this happens everytime i shutdown the system... when i re-activate /re-install the drivers, i was able to see the device on the hardware network option... but when i shutdown the system, it doesnt show again... how come...? could somebody help...? im using the latest 64bit ZORIN 6 system, have already updated the OS thru the OS update manager... until no other updates are available... im using a LENOVO 64bit G485 laptop 4gb memory with AMD brazos platform..

another item im having problem is the "workspaces"... seems i cant see the workspaces window...? how come..? i know i have 4 workspaces since i can go to each one by using the ctrl+alt+arrow left or right... but cannot increase the number of workspaces or just jump to any of them since there is no visual tool available...? where is the command menu to change the values of the workspaces and how do i make it appear on the the desktop or the menu bar...? i was using a ZORIN 4 before and i can change them very easily and/or add/dock them to the menu bar... could somebody help..? thanks

Wolfman

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:22:34 pm

Hi,

update your system fully using "dpkg" and let us know how you get on:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:08:40 pm

First of all you must be meaning "BCM4313" (and not MCM4313).

Do the following:

1) Install ubuntu tweak
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

2) Then open additional drivers
Code:
jockey-gtk

and remove the recomended STA driver

3) Open ubuntu tweak, go to the last tab named "janitor" and then "packages config".
You delete all the packages proposed and especially the package named "bcmwl-kernel-source".

4) Restart and let me know if it worked.

rbhebron

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12:31 am

hello madvinegar...

thanks your suggestions & here it goes...

im running a zorin 64bit and a broadcom BCM4313.. the zorin 64bit already contains the ubuntu tweak on the main menu so i didnt need to install the tweak anymore... also the jockey-gtk is already installed.. i removed the STA drivers... i removed the bcmwl-kernel-source from the packages config... and restarted... the results are the same... there is no wireless hardware detected as based on the system setting> network.. so there is no wifi.. but when i checked the system using a terminal with a lcpci -vvnn, it says that i have a Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E LAN hardware and a Broadcom BCM4313 wifi b/g/n hardware.. same question - why is the driver of the wireless lost when i reboot the system...?

so i re-activated the broadcom STA driver on the additional driver and i have wifi again... im afraid that when i reboot, this will be lost again... pls advise...

rbhebron

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:22:51 am

hello swarfendor437...

yes i have already done all that you suggested on the network edit connection...
created the name of the wifi AP with the wlan(0) mad address.. but the same happened... when i reboot the system, the names of the AP on the edit connections are there but the wifi hardware is not there as indicated on the system settings> network... only the LAN and the network proxy appears as hardware... when i checked using the lspci -vvnn, it still says that the system recognizes that there is a Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E LAN hardware and a Broadcom MCM4313 wifi b/g/n hardware... but i dont have wifi after a reboot... so i removed the broadcom STA driver and re activated... now i have wifi hardware on the system settings> network.. and now have wifi... im afraid that when i reboot, this will be lost again... please advise...

madvinegar

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:25:52 am

When your wifi is working, please post back the result of
Code:
sudo lshw -c network

I want to double check that the driver you are using is "wl".
I will then tell you how to make it load everytime automatically on startup so you don't have to worry. :)

rbhebron

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:54:59 am

hello madvinegar...

i think it is... this is the reply from the - sudo lshw -c network

buena@buena-Lenovo-G485:~$ sudo lshw -c network
[sudo] password for buena:
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 05
serial: b8:88:e3:6f:3e:04
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 100Mbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:44 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0004000-f0004fff memory:f0000000-f0003fff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 01
serial: 08:ed:b9:9f:5d:79
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl1 driverversion=5.100.82.38 ip=192.168.11.11 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:17 memory:f0100000-f0103fff
buena@buena-Lenovo-G485:~$

rbhebron

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:58:55 am

hello swarfendor437...

by the way...

the workspaces switcher from the "shinny switcher" app is now working...

thanks a lot...

madvinegar

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29:51 am

It says driver=wl1 (It should be saying just "wl" but nevertheless do the following).

Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modules

A file will open.
At the end of that file, on a new line, add the word
Code:
wl1

Save, exit, reboot and see if it all is ok.

rbhebron

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19:26 am

hello madvinegar...

nope... it did not automatically load the wireless when i reboot.. but when i removed and re-activate the broadcom STA drivers, there is wifi again... im afraid wifi will be lost again when i reboot...

anyway, for yur ref, here are the contents of the file - /etc/modules..

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
rtc
lp
rtc
wl1

madvinegar

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:08:15 pm

Ok then change the "wl1" to just "wl".

Reboot and test again.
If that doesn't work I will create a script for you to use at startup that will unload and reload the driver automatically.

rbhebron

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:53:54 pm

hello madvinegar...

wowww..!!. it worked..!!. i now have wifi even after i reboot the zorin 64bit
on my lenovo G485 AMD E1-1200 with broadcom BCM4313 b/g/n wifi...

many many thanks your patience and kind assistance... really appreciate..
...including the great guys of the zorin community..

problem now resolved...

madvinegar

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:14:01 pm

Great!

kinnor

Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:57:52 am

Thanks so much, this worked for my Compaq PresarioC500GJ203PA-ABG laptop!