This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Whoops, Can't change screen settings

Muzzargh

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47:44 am

Hi Guys,

I was trying to get a game working on PlayonLinux and succeeded only after I added "i915.modeset=0" to the GRUB config file. But... now my screen is a bit squashed and if I go to System Settings - Displays it says I have a laptop (which I don't), clicking Detect Display does nothing. So I removed "i915.modeset=0" to the GRUB config file expecting that all would return to normal but no it's still the same (even after a few restarts). I have done all the updates to see if that helped. I have on-board intel graphics.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

If I get this fixed is there a way I can set PlayonLinux to set "i915.modeset=0" whilst I play the game then set it back to normal when I finish?

Appreciate the help :)

Wolfman

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:56:57 am

Hi,

do you have the drivers for your graphics card installed??.

Have you tried installing the package "mono-complete" which is good for gaming as it brings "Netframework" with it (Linux version)

sudo apt-get install mono-complete

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

I am not saying that Mono will help but try it first and then worry about your display settings!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Muzzargh

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03:54 am

I'll give it a try and let you know what happens :-)

Wolfman

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08:28 am

I forgot to ask you whether you have an Nvidia card, if you do, see this topic and use the Nvidia PPA:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Muzzargh

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:11:33 am

No, I have integrated Intel graphics :-(

Anyway, I think this is a bad thing:

Processing triggers for monodoc-base ...
Setting up monodoc-browser (2.10-2) ...
generating monodoc index...
grep: /etc/gre.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
generating monodoc search index... (this can take a while)
grep: /etc/gre.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
Problem: O:Mono.Math.BigInteger.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector2d.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector2l.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector2ul.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector4f.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector4i.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector4ui.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector8s.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector8us.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector16b.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Mono.Simd.Vector16sb.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:NpgsqlTypes.NpgsqlInet.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.BuildProperty.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:Microsoft.Build.Utilities.TaskItem.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.DateTimeOffset.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Decimal.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.IntPtr.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Nullable<T>.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Nullable<T>.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.UIntPtr.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlBinary.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlBinary.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlBoolean.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlBoolean.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlByte.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlByte.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlBytes.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlChars.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlDateTime.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlDateTime.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlDecimal.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlDouble.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlGuid.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlGuid.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlInt16.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlInt32.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlInt64.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlMoney.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlSingle.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlString.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlString.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Drawing.Point.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Drawing.Point.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Drawing.RectangleF.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Drawing.Size.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Drawing.Size.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Drawing.SizeF.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Runtime.InteropServices.GCHandle.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Web.UI.WebControls.FontUnit.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Problem: O:System.Web.UI.WebControls.Unit.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs
Setting up mono-complete (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Wolfman

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11:35 pm

Hi,

not as bad as it looks, most of the services listed are "Mysqdl" and cause no problem on my rig whatsoever; despite all the whinging from the installer!!.

What about the Nvidia card??.

Regards Wolfman

Muzzargh

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:46:56 pm

Ok sweet.

Intel 865Gx86/MMX/SSE2 onboard graphics (stop laughing!!!) :-)

Wolfman

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:20:26 am

Hi,

please post the output of "xrandr" so we can see what your max res "should" be. (Paste the command in a terminal)

Also, have you installed the Intel drivers via Synaptic:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel#Installation

You might have to edit the odd file or two!!.

Muzzargh

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24:30 am

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1600 x 1200, maximum 1600 x 1200
default connected 1600x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1600x1200 0.0*
1280x1024 0.0
1024x768 0.0
800x600 0.0
640x480 0.0

But I don't think this is correct as the 'system' thinks it's a laptop. My monitor is a Philips 220WS

Wolfman

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:42:30 pm

Hi,

have you switched off "Laptop mode" in the system setting display settings, there is an On/Off switch??.

Is it greyed out like mine?, mine is a laptop by the way.

Displays_003.png

Muzzargh

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:42:53 pm

Greyed out like yours:

ss1.png

and now I can't switch users, I just get a black screen and have to power off and restart to get anywhere. :?

Wolfman

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:11:39 pm

Hi,

I see that your resolution is 1600 x 1200, can you drop that, what is the max res your monitor supports, mine is 1400 x 900 (Acer) and you may have your display res set too high!!.

Muzzargh

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:58:11 pm

The recommended is 1680 x 1050 but 1600 x 1200 is supported, but then again I only get four options to choose from. I did try a lower setting but I still couldn't change the 'laptop' setting when I reduced the resolution?

I'll try this again when I get home from work.

KarterJK

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:14:50 am

I was having this same problem... but mine was caused because I loaded it onto a virtual machine.

if you are running it in Virtualbox or VMWare (i tried both), one of the first thing to do after install, is to go to the System Settings and click on the Additional drivers icon. It recognizes the virtual machine and displays the necessary software to activate. Which loads the VM display drivers. I think the VMs (Virtual Machines) bypass the normal host display drivers and use their own and so they don't normally get loaded. It is kind of like looking for your video drivers just from a different source.

Any way, thats how I resolved my situation, after I rebooted everything was exactly as it should be.

Took me days to figure that out ;) ... hope it helps

Wolfman

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:30:23 am

Hi,

you could try:

sudo jockey-gtk

which should search and download the applicable graphic card drivers for you.

Also, do you have the "Proposed Updates" marked in your system sources list, it would help as you would get the latest kernel!!.

Muzzargh

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08:09 am

Hi KarterJK,

This is an install on a PC so not a VM, but thanks for trying :-)

Hi Wolfman,

No joy with anything, it still thinks it's a laptop. Re-installed jockey-gtk, no change. Should I be able to access a GUI for jockey-gtk?

:-(

Oh and I have 'proposed' ticked now.

...and all the latest updates have been applied :-)

Wolfman

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:22:51 am

Alrighty then, paste this command in a terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

then restart your PC and choose recovery mode and run dpkg (activate "Network" beforehand using a network cable only, NO WIFI CONNECTION), restart with Ctrl + Alt+ Del and try changing the screen res again in display settings.

Muzzargh

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:58:55 am

Done, no change, still thinks it's a laptop. :-(

Wolfman

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43:57 am

Hi Muz,

install the package "arandr" and check your setting with it, it is (should be) listed in preferences:

sudo apt-get install arandr

"ARandR is a visual front end for XRandR 1.2/1.3 (per display options), which
provides full controll over positioning, saving and loading to/from shell
scripts and easy integration with other applications."

Also, how is your monitor connected, DVI, VGA or HDMI?. If you have a choice of connections, try changing using one of the other cables (DVI-VGA-HDMI) and if you get the message "Frequency is out of range"; you must reset your monitor using the reset button in the monitor's menu!!.

Muzzargh

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:12:34 am

Hi Wolfman,

I'll give that a go however I have solved my issue :-)

I changed i915.modeset=0 to i915.modeset=1 in the GRUB config file on this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=1"

ran sudo update-grub

restarted and voila, my monitor is now recognised and I can set resolutions properly again. :-)

Wolfman

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:16:12 am

Hi Muz,

great to hear:D :D :D :D