This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Recent updates causing a booting issue

TheDrkG3nom3

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:28:51 pm

I just installed ZorinOS yesterday. I ran some updates overnight and attempted to bootup today. Boot up was successful. However, subsequent bootups from thereon have not been. I tried to bootup a second time. This time around a box popped up telling me that I need to boot in low graphics mode and that I would need to reconfigure my graphics. So I clicked okay. But here is the thing. I couldn't do anything after that. I was taken into another box with options. I could pick any of the options using my key board nor my touchpad.

After that I tried to boot using the recovery boot option. I ran the clean option to clear some memory and tried to do everything that I could on that page. This worked, initially. I booted into normal graphics mode. But once I tried to do something the graphics went haywire. Everything was flashing and being unstable. So I restarted. Now I am only able to boot into the terminal version. It will only boot into the terminal version.

And I can't boot into graphics mode becuase I can't choose any options.

So what do I need to do? I am able to boot into the previous version perfectly fine. So I am assuming this is due to the updates I performed last night.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VPCF136FM

Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 425 GPU with 1GB VRAM

6GB of RAM

i7 processor 91.73GHz

My HDD is partitioned so I ran this running along side Windows 7

I have ZorinOS 6 64 bit

I am a newbie when I come to this so please keep this in mind in your explanations

Thanks in advance

TheDrkG3nom3

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:14:39 am

Actually, I was able to do another update by booting into the older version. I ran the updates and now I am able to boot in normally. But I'll definitely keep what you said in mind if this happens again. Thanks.