This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Thunderbird

FLatFoot

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:27:34 pm

I have just installed Zorin OS 6 x64. I tried a few things first with a live session including Thunderbird which produced a yellow "new mail" image on the mail panel icon whenever a new message arrived. After installing, this does not appear and the static white envelope icon remains unchanged. It is true that the minimized launcher icon displays a number for new messages, but there is a specific reason why I need a notification at the other end of the panel too.
Is there another applet I can use?

Wolfman

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:33:13 pm

Hi,

you need to install the thunderbird plugins and change the default mail app to thunderbird.

dconf editor > org > gnome > desktop > applications > office > calendar and subsitute "Evolution" with "Thunderbird" where it says "Exec".

Then open > System Settings > System > Details > Default Applications > Calendar and change the default if it hasn't already changed, you may have to restart!!.

Configuration Editor_001.png

Regards Wolfman :D

FLatFoot

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:10:31 am

Many thanks. That worked.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01:17 am

Alrighty then :D :D :D :D :D

FLatFoot

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37:17 am

I've just resurrected this thread because the issue is back + worse. After a while, sometimes the new mail icon in the notification area would change and sometimes not. OK, so I could live with this but now the number of new mails arriving has disappeared from the Thunderbird icon too. Any ideas?

Wolfman

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:04:24 am

Hi FlatFoot,

have you checked all the settings in Thunderbird itself?.

Have you fully updated?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Sorry but I don't really know what else to suggest, have you mucked around with the themes??.

FLatFoot

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:53:34 am

Everything is as it should be regarding settings and updates. Yes, I did look at the other theme choices available so this could well have been the culprit. In no way though did I "mess" with the themes other than to select them to see what they looked like.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:23:47 am

Hi FF,

when I say "mucked" around with, I mean did you select a different theme and as you point out, that may be the culprit!!.

Try different themes and see what happens!!.