This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

USB Device, KB/Mouse Will Not Wake Up PC From Suspend

shkarst

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:13:34 am

Now I have Googled for answer to this. Read quite a few suggestions in the Ubuntu Forums. A lot of talk about this command or that using the TERMINAL, concerning telling it to WAKE UP uisng the USB devices. Apparentl;y many folks are living with having to use the power button to do it, which is iffy, sice that most times will turn the machine off, necessitating a RE-BOOT. Why can't one of the PPL that write all these everyday updates, fix this issue, with a SOFTWARE UPDATE???!!!

Wolfman

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:00:37 am

Hi,

I am on your side, Ubuntu are constantly moving forward with a new OS every 6 months but leave a trail of unsolved problems and bugs behind them which they don't seem interested in fixing but leave it to the community to sort out!!.

Most of the docs are old:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/hardware/ ... nding.html

I would look on Ask Ubuntu or I would just use a wired KB and Mouse as I don't like wireless toys anyway!!.

http://thecodecentral.com/2011/01/18/fi ... orking-bug

http://www.hecticgeek.com/2012/06/fix-u ... ls-ubuntu/

Regards Wolfman :D

shkarst

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:02:40 pm

Wolfman>>>After installing Zorin on this desktop, and finding out that the wireless Logitech KB/Mouse would not bring the PC out of suspend, I broke out this other WIRED mouse, but that also plugs into a USB, and it also would not do it. Maybe if I dug out my OLD original mouse that came with the desktop, and plugged it into the desktop's jack dedicated for the mouse, that might do it, as long as that did not disable the wireless one, since I really like the Wireless set up. You see (Don't laugh now>>LOL), but back in June/Jul 99, I came onto the internet as a WEBTV user, and got spoiled by NOT having to be sitting away at a computer desk, somewhere in a back room, but rather sitting comfortably on my sofa, using the TV from several feet away. At that time, as still an active (NON RETIRED, Telco Tech) I had to use PCs in one form or another nearly all day, everyday, to do my job, especially when in a position as a remote tester, and did not even want to see one once I got home>>LOL. This wireless KB/Mouse still gives me that luxury :-)

shkarst

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:05:39 pm

P.S. I read in one forum last night that if you depress the power key for between 1>>2 secs, that would work bringing it our of sleep, and not shutting it down, HOPEFULLY. So I gave that a shot, counting precisely," One thousand and one," in my mind. It worked three times in a row. So maybe an acceptable workaround :-).

Wolfman

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:20:50 pm

Hi,

well as long as you are happy, I tried out Ubuntu 12.10 and that has problems especially with graphic card support/display.

shkarst

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:42:38 pm

Well just tried my ORIGINAL mouse that plugs into the MOUSE JACK on the back of my desktop and MAKES NO DIFFERENCE, doesn't do it either>>>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I give up. But that "ONE THOUSAND AND ONE, " worked again :-)

Wolfman

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:02:54 am

Hi,

have you tried hibernate instead of suspend?.

shkarst

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:25:29 pm

I read about all that hibernate stuff, more TERMINAL WORK as I recall>>LOL. Also there appeared to be a good reason that Zorin removed HIBERNATE from the list, although on my Netbook, Zorin Lite still does lists hibernate, but not here on the desktop. No biggie, since I can still count to, "One thousand and one." :-).

It is remarkable how the software programmers creating all these DAILY MANY updates can't/won't take care of a KNOWN issue!!!!! No wonder many just stick with Windows. I had to boot up to Windows yesterday, in order to make out an application that required Adobe Reader, which I installed from the SOFTWARE CENTER, but it is just version 9, and after nearly getting through the entire application process, the reader appears to get hung up, BLACKING OUT the screen. But I GOT ER DONE over on Windows. Thank goodness I installed with a DUAL BOOT/ALONGSIDE. I know at least one person who cleared out WIndows in favor for Linux, BIG MISTAKE IMO.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32:25 pm

Hi,

Adobe devs always keep the Reader version a bit lower than Windows, I cannot tell you why!!.

Fixing the bugs in Linux in general would be a good thing; but I think it may well be a pipe dream!!.

shkarst

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:39:24 pm

Yup. By the way, my, "ONE THOUSAND AND ONE, " failed me this time, this afternoon>>LOL LOL :-)>>Go figure.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19:42 am

Hi,

I would just use "Logout" as this amounts to more or less to the same thing, you don't get the power saving that you get with suspend but a lot less headaches!!.

shkarst

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34:09 pm

Yes>>I often do that. But there are times of the day, like after my final ONLINE morning time, after 11AM, that I know that I am not usually going to get back online (With this desktop) till late evening, or just before heading to bed. So I suspend that, giving all those parts, that can abruptly wear out, like the HD, power supply, etc. a well deserved rest. One reason that I believe that my XP machine is 6.5 yrs. young, and like an OLD WEBTV BOX, I am looking to years more of good service :-)

Wolfman

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:24:34 pm

Hi,

with such a long break, I would switch of the PC completely, if I am away for more than 30 minutes, I always switch off, you should (imo) never leave an electrical device running even if it is in suspend mode!!.

shkarst

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:20:20 pm

Suspend is nearly off you know. Very little is being consumed, just like most electronics, like your TV, audio gear, Blu ray/DVD players are all in standby, even your DVR, which one would never turn its power source, power strip all the way off, or you'd miss programs from being recorded, especially when gone a few days. Just saying :-)

Wolfman

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43:33 am

Hi,

I found this for you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1938480

It is marked as solved!!.

shkarst

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27:40 pm

I had seen that, thanks, but would be leary to try it since: 1) I works in Windows just fine. and 2) I am told that one has to be very careful, that those TERMINAL commands are UNIQUE to which flavor of Linux you are using, Ububtu, Zorin (Even thosugh based on Ubuntu), Mint, etc. etc, and even different for the different versions. IMO, it is best left well alone, and hope for a SOMEDAY Software Update. Yeah I know, I might win the lotterey some day also>>LOL.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:26:24 am

Leary??, well I might be a bit weary about it myself :D :D :D :D

Good luck with the Lottery btw!!. :D

shkarst

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:43:57 pm

LOL>>>Using American English here :-) You must be a Brit???:

http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-definition/leary

Wolfman

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:48:57 pm

Hi,

leary does have the same meaning in British English but I would be "weary" (tired) of waiting for an update to the problem, certainly not suspicious!!.

shkarst

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:51:36 pm

No I meant that I would be LEARY to try those TERMINAL commands, knowing that they could be for ANOTHER Linux flavor or version :-).

Leary, weary, who ceary>>LOL LOL :-)

shkarst

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30:29 pm

P.S. Ran a Test On my Netbook, after I put it into SUSPEND (Sleep), tapping on my KB (Used the ENTER/SEND) key, woke it up. So I may just RE-INSTALL the LITE version on top of the full version on my desktop. But would try it FIRST in LiveBoot B4 doing that. The Lite version does all I need to do. Don't really know WHAT THE difference is, besides only having Windows 2000 and MAC in the LOOK CHANGER, but near enough for Government work :-). Also the LITE version DOES have both Suspend AND Hibernate listed, but the KB just brought it out of SUSPEND Not from HIBERNATE.