This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Some smaller issues

naquaada

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04:29 am

Hi there,

I've installed Zorin 6 Ultimate 64bit now, and it works rather fine, but there are still some smaller issues:

- There is a mount problem at boot, I still have to press 'S' twice. All mounted partitions are there, but there's always a 'Windows' entry in the /media folder. I've partitioned with the Storage Device Manager, the NTFS and FAT32 entries only have umask=000 as options.

- Shortly after the system is booted, A Docky plugin crashes, something called 'yama' or so. What is this and how can I deactivate it?

- I want to add a bootpicture into the grub bootloader. The resolution is already set to 800x600, and I used some entries I got from another grub bootloader with graphics. But it still won't work. These are the lines to show a PNG image in the AROS version of grub.

insmod vbe
insmod gfxterm
set gfxmode=800x600
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod png
background_image /boot/grub/splash.png

- Is there a way to install iTunes 10 to PlayOnLinux? I found various tutorials, but they didn't work. Manual 10.x installations didn't work, even if Quicktime 7 was preinstalled in a virtual drive. 32bit-iTunes installers always shows a message to install 64bit-versions of iTunes, is Wine 64bit-compatible at all? PlayOnLinux always shows a message that there's version 4.1.8 available, but the Ubuntu Software center has only 4.1.1.

I'm an absolute Linux beginner, so if you have something to help me, please explain it very detailed. Actually I'm getting full r/w access to the file system by using the gksu nautilus / command.

Thanks, naquaada.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:04:13 am

Hi and welocme,

sorry that it has taken a bit of time for a reply.

Firstly, when you created the partitions, you should have created 1 root, 1 home and 1 swap, the root and home partitions should be the Ext4 format, you have chosen NTFS which may be the reason why you are getting the message about the " umask=000" option but I cannot be sure!!.

Have you updated your system per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

This may help solve your "Docky" problem although I do recommend installing the package "gnome".

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome

I have never used the AROS version of Grub so I cannot help you there, normally to change the login pic; you could use Ubuntu Tweak.

Regards Wolfman :D

naquaada

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:29:51 am

So, the thing with the boot image is solved, look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3401&p=16063#p16063

So, I now have the AROS bootloader with 3 bootable operating systems, ZorinOS has now also it's own bootpicture and an option to quickly return the the AROS bootloader.

Now back to the mounting thing: I have these partitions on my system:

0 - AROS version of GRUB in MBR
1 - Windows 8 Professional (primary, active)
2 - AROS partition (primary, shown as unknown filesystem because no other OS can use SFS)
3 - Partition3, actually an empty NFTS partition (primary)
5 - ZorinOS partition (logical, EXT4, contains ZorinOS bootloader)
6 - ZorinOS swap (logical)
7 - Android-x86 (logical, EXT3)
8 - Exchange (logical, FAT32)
9 - Files (logical, NTFS)
10 - Windows Swap (logical, NTFS)

I'm always using a seperate swap partition for pagefile.sys for Windows, it is much easier if you defragment or backup your boot partition. Use S: as drive letter and disable the drive (f.e. with TuneUp Utilities) so it doesn't show up, voila. No more enabling or disabling the swapfile. It is important to have it as last partition, because ZorinOS/Linux can only mount partitions from /dev/sda1 until /dev/sda9. I never couldn't mount the partition /dev/sda10.

Now to the mounting thing: The partitions of Windows, Partition3, ZorinOS (root), Android-x86, Exchange and Files are mounted.
Not mounted are AROS partition (because no known file system), Windows swap partition. The swap partition should not be mounted at all, its name is '.Swap', with a dot before the name.
In the media folder I have the devices sda1 sda3 sda7 sda8 sda9, as it should be. But there's always an entry 'Windows', I don't know from where this comes. It also has 0 objects and can't be opened.

I have two mounting managers on the system, but there's no Windows mount entry. In which file are the mounts stored, so then I can check there.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:41:06 am

Hi,

when you say you see a partition called "Windows", does this show up in the tree in your Nautilus home??, if it is a system partition (recovery); this may be the reason why you cannot access it, is there anything on it??, is it mounting automatically??.

I think you should have put some of the partitions in an extended partition as the boot loader can only read "X" amount of partitions (I believe, not sure, don't know!!). I think if you had all the Windows and Android parts at the begginning and then an extended part with the Linux parts, it might run better!!.

Again, this Aros bootloader, I cannot make any comment about it, I have never even heard of it until now!!. You might find help (if indeed you need any) here:

http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentati ... lation.php

See also this amiount max partitions:

http://superuser.com/questions/368173/w ... hard-drive

Not really much help, let me know if there is anything you can use here!!.

naquaada

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52:51 pm

@ Wolfman:

The 'Windows' entry is the only one which shouldn't be existing. I'm always using mouning tools like 'Storage Device Manager' or something, it may be possible that I mounted the devices with a name, like in OS X. The structure ist simliar, but not the same:

Linux: /media/sda1, sda2, sda3
OS X: /Volumes/Macintosh, Data, Video

So in OS X you normally never access a drive with its device number, only by the volume name. All drives and partitions are mounted at startup and you don't have a Swap partition. So maybe a kind of volume name remained in the Linux partition file, where was it? I remember something like /etc/fstab or so. I'm no Linux user :roll:

@ swarfendor437:

Hehe ubergeek, the first letter must be an Ü. Well, I have more than 22 years computer experience, started like usual with the C64 and I'm still using them. With revisions I worked with about 20-30 operating systems, and there is no Linux in them. Well, if you think this partition system is crazy, then read my infos to AROS later.

Well, short to say: Everything is working with this setup, except that Android x86 isn't booting at all (it has a very reduced grub), Zorin brings during boot the message 'Press S to skip mounting', and I have to press S twice. That's all about in this thread. I can create a multiboot guide, but I'd like to get the Android x86 booting. OS X 10.6 is also planned on partition 3.

To the Windows swap partition: Normally the swapfile 'pagefile.sys' is located in C:/, it's an invisible file. In the extended settings for virtual memory you can also create more than one pagefile.sys or put it on another drive. I'm always doing this, like Linux has an own swap partition. The typical size of a Windows swapfile is about 1.5x the physical RAM, so about 4600 MB for Windows XP and 12100 MB for Windows 7 64bit with 8 GB RAM. If these big files aren't located on C:/, you gain a lot of space and you could better defragment the drive. The file hiberfil.sys is fixed, it cannot be defragmented. And also if you make a full backup (f.e. with TrueImage), you also save a lot of space. In earlier times, I switched this file off every time before a backup, but using this swap partition this works much better. To use it, create a partition with the size you need during a fresh installation. I think in drive management (don't know the english name) you could change the drive letter, best use S: (swap) or T: (temp) and format in NTFS. Open the virtual memory settings, and it will show the drives, including free drive space. Windows also shows a recommended size for the swap file. Create these manually, so set start size and end size to 4600 (or what is recommended, if the space is big enough), that there is a complete undefragmented file over the complete drive. Accpet the changes, then select on drive C:/ 'no swap file' or whats it called in english. Accept again, then you have to reboot. If you open the virtual memory settings again, You should have no hiberfile.sys on drive C:/ and drive S:/ has the swap partition now. You'll also notice this in the drive overview, your drive C:/ must have more free space and S: is nearly full. Two usefulsteps: With TuneUp Utilities or another tweaking tool turn off the message that shows up when there's not much space left on the drive. It is also possible to disable partitions that they don't show up. So if S: is disabled, you can't see it anymore, but it still works.

This swap partition is only for Windows, it has no function in Linux. There is only one thing: If you have a big partition table like on my system, it must be the last partition. Zorin can only mount the partitions /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda9, partition /dev/sda10 cannot be mounted. If you have less then 10 partitions, then the position doesn't matter.

So, now to the AROS thing.

AROS is a free reprogrammed API of AmigaOS 3.1/3.9. It is designed to be source-compatible to the 68000-AmigaOS, but not binary compatible. Here's something in the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AROS

The most used distribution is Icaros Desktop. With version 1.4.5 and the Update 2 it already can read and write FAT drives and read NTFS drives. WLAN and everything is also supported, also experiemental Samba support. OWB is a very fast Acid3-compatible web browser, but it has no HTML5 and of course no Flash. You could try it, the DVD is free. It's a Live DVD with installer. It is also localized. But watch out: The 900 MB 7z-archive expands to a 2.5 GB ISO image! You can install it to to USB stick without problems. But is very hardware dependent, there are not much developers, so there are not too many drivers. May Thinkpad x61t is running fine, but there is no sound, although a driver for Intel HDA audio is loaded.

http://www.icarosdesktop.org/

Now to the bootloader. It is GRUB, not more and not less. The advantage is, AmigaOS/AROS has no user permissions, so you could modify grub.cfg without any problems. AROS also boots very fast, so it's ideal for experimenting. My AROS GRUB has now working entries for Icaros Desktop, Windows 8, ZorinOS and some other things. Colour scheme and background picture are customized too. Editing was much easier than the Zorin GRUB configuration. AROS GRUB is very easy to reinstall, boot the Live DVD, start install, deactivate all packages except GRUB, set to graphics mode, finished. Of course, you have to backup your settings.

Well, if swarfendor437 thought my partition system with ten paritions is weird... Actually it has 13 partitions :lol: The second partition was a 80 GB primary before, created from the Windows 8 installation. After the most things were finished, I deleted this one, and started the Icaros Desktop installer. It created me an own AROS partition with is own bootblock RDB (Rigid Disk Block). So I have actually two primary MBR partitions, one extended MBR partition with five logical MBR partitions, and one partition with RDB bootblock, containing 4 partitions using SFS (Smart File System). Everything understood? :lol:

To RDB: It is probably the best hard disk boot block ever. It allows so many partitions as you like, any could be different size, block size, different transfer rates, different file systems. You also could upload various file systems directly to the hard drive, so it's very easy to boot from FFS, PFS, SFS or Unix-like file systems, even on an 1986 Amiga 500. Every partition can also be bootable, with a user-defineable boot priority (floppy is 5). The device names are not fixed to C:, D:, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 or something, it could be any word up to 30 characters long. So you could use for expample 'BOOTDRIVE:' as device name, and 'Workbench:' as volume name. AmigaOS/AROS recognoizes both names, and also watches for the names. So if a floppy/CD 'Install:' is neccessary, it must be named 'Install:'. The Amigas' hard drive system regonizes also multiple device names, so if you have a drive 'DH0:' installed, other drives will be renamed 'DH0.1:, DH0.2:', depending how they're connected (f.e. SCSI ID). It also detects devices with the same names, so the Amiga 4000T has an IDE and an SCSI controller on the board, both using the scsi.device. But they will be renamed in scsi.device, 2nd.scsi.device. If you add another controller using scsi.device it will be 3rd.scsi.device and so on. I think, RDB is the most flexible partition table ever, and it was already invented in 1986. That was also the problem that it accepted for a long time no hard drives larger than 4 GB, but this is solved, too.

The Amiga was far ahead of it's time, in 1985 a multimedia computer which allowed preemtative multitasking in less then 256 KBytes RAM, 1991 full localization was introduced. With the CDTV it had the first HTPC with remote control and CD drive, but the perople didin't know what a computer should do in the living room. The CD32 the first 32bit game console, the AAA-chipset which never came out was designed to be 64bit. But a main problem was Commodore's marketing, and the chipset structure was outdated at this time. An Amiga 1200 would be called today as '2MB shared memory'. But Amiga lives on, as official PowerPC-based AmigaOS 4, AROS for x86-PCs and for PowerPC-Macs there's MorphOS, which is awesome fast.

naquaada

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:25:49 pm

No, that is no problem that Android is behind Zorin, or exactly behind the swap partition of Zorin. If I make a full installation of Android-x86 including bootloader, it will boot. But then the AROS bootloader is overwritten, so I can only boot Android. After reinstalling the AROS bootloader and restoring the grub.cfg file I can boot all operating systems expect Android. Although it's linux-based the file system is a bit weird, it uses a RAM disk, the operating system is in an extra folder 'Android4-RC2' in root and the bootloaders directory is only /grub, not /boot/grub. It is also a very reduced version of GRUB. Changing it to /boot/grub or adding a Zorin boot loader won't work either. It behaves like an empty partition, so it's an Android problem. I think no one has planned to install it on a logical partition yet, the most people will probably run it from USB, especcially because it's very experimental.

To add some other infos: I'm actually not sure if MBR allows 4 primary partitions and one extended or 3 primary partitions and one extended partition. However, if I have three primary partitions and enter the manual partition tool of the beginning of the Zorin installation, it creates automatically an extended partition for the complete free space and places Zorin Root in partition 5 and Zorin Swap in partition 6, so the first two in the extended partition. It doesn't make an attempt to put Zorin into a primary partition.

Also, the drive (12,5mm WD10TPVT) is an 1 TB notebook drive with Advanced Sector format and real 4096 byte sectors. I created only the Zorin partition and the swap partition during the installtion, if I create others, they are misaligned. I'm creating the other partitions using gparted in Zorin. There are also differences: The partitioning tool treats partitions in GB (1 GB=1000.000.000 bytes), Windows and gparted in GiB (1 GiB=1.073.741.824 bytes). That must be calculated.

naquaada

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:51:26 pm

Well, you could be more extreme: use a 2 TB hard drive, add three MBR partitions, an Extended partition with 19 partitions, and the rest is a big AROS RDB partition. I presume the minimum partition size of an AROS partition may be 1 or 2 KiB, so it could be a lot :D

But I'm still interested how to get the 'press S' problem away from the boot sequence. It's rather annoying when you select to boot Zorin, go away for a while and the system is still not booted because of this stupid mounting problem :(

Wolfman

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:57:18 pm

Hi,

I have a couple of suggestions for you, replace the Aros bootloader with Grub using "Boot Repair", and secondly, try changing your software sources location and update, see this guide for further details:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

For Boot Repair:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1895

Hope it helps.

naquaada

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:14:56 pm

Well, it's working now :P I checked my /etc/fstab and found some old entries, which I removed. But there was still 'pressing S to continue' neccsessary.
I checked /var/log/boot.log and there was an entry that mount point 0 could be mounted because it wasn't existing. I checked fstab again and deleted the first line which looked like a default entry line. Zorin is booting fine now, next is to get Android working ;)

Well, for a Linux newbie I'm doing not too bad 8-)

Wolfman

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:43:49 am

Hi,

you are doing exceptionaly well for a "Newbie" to be quite honest :D :D :D

Can we mark this as solved??.

naquaada

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:13:13 pm

Yes, I think so. There's still that iTunes issue, but there's another thread for this.

If I should write a tutorial how to create a multiboot system like this, tell me. I'm rather good in explaining, my friends always want to have computer support from me :?