This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Flash crashing Zorin. Possible memory issue?

fxaddict

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:26:10 pm

I recently installed Zorin and love it. Wrote a testimonial in the forum. I do however have an issue that I could use some help sorting.

When playing flash video Zorin locks up and then crashes. I have tried the Flashaid plugin and disabled acceleration so far with no luck.
I have noticed that Zorin is using about 3/4 of my memory. Could it be that when i start playing flash vids that I do not have enough memory?
Could that be causing the crashes?

Any help would be appreciated. I am a semi-noob but don't mind looking up how to do things.

Thanks
Fxaddict

Wolfman

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:47:09 pm

Hi,

have you fully updated your system??;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

What are your system specs, you shouldn't have a problem running flash if you already managed to install ZorinOS, I assume you are running Z6????.

Let us know about the updates, run "dpkg" in recovery mode first!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

fxaddict

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:13:38 am

Thanks wolfman. I will get that done and report back soon

Ok, I realized I have done the "dpkg" each time it has crashed. Here is a pic of my specs below. I have an
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW as well. I installed the 32 bit version trying to keep the flash crash from happening. I had no issues in the other 32 bit computers I have.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46:01 am

Hi,

see this link about Nvidia cards and use the PPA:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Also, you have a 64 Bit PC but are using the 32 Bit version, you might want to consider a re-install with the 64 Bit version!!.

Let us know if this helps.

fxaddict

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53:51 pm

Thanks for the help here wolfman, I have been thru that thread already and have given the 64 bit a spin prior to installing the 32 bit version. I had the same issues with 64 only it seemed worse. Before installing Zorin i tried at least 20 or more linux distro's and found them all to do the same flash crash. It seems that it happens less with Zorin but it could be that I just like Zorin better.
I mentioned the memory because I read elsewhere that some had problems with flash using alot of memory. I just don't know if that could be the problem or not. If Zorin is using 3/4 of my 2 gigs would flash use enough to cause a crash?
I am a bit leary of trying some of the "fix's" I see online without first consulting here.

I really appreciate the prompt replies and help.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:51:16 pm

Hi fxaddict,

I have a cunning plan, try changing the download location of your software sources and then update, see this guide for further details:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

fxaddict

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29:02 pm

Sad to report there is still no love from the world of flash yet.

I am unable to make it thru about 10-15 minutes of video before firefox crashes and the system freezes. I am then forced to use the power button and restart. After which I have to run dpkg.

Another detail that may or may not provide a clue is that on first boot my menu will pop up but I am unable to select anything. I hit ctrl-alt-delete and log back in and everything works in the menu.

thanks again for the help. i hate to be a pest.

P.S. i have also tried chrome. It didn't crash the syatem but flash did crash
Regards
fxaddict

Wolfman

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:48:22 am

Hi,

have you considered using "gnash" as an alternative to "flash":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnash

It is in the repo and you should remove flash before installing gnash.

fxaddict

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:04:19 pm

I'll give that a spin today swarfendor437 and if for some reason it doesn't work I'll give gnash a good spin. I had tried gnash with another distro some time back (not really impressed then) but don't believe I uninstalled flash prior to installing it. That may have been why.

Thanks again guys. I'll report back soon.

Fxaddict

fxaddict

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07:56 pm

well, I installed gnash and still had the same problem, so I decided to look into my browser plugins and disabled shockwave flash plugin and things seem to be fine when it is disabled. Only problem is that gnash doesn't seem to play everything.

At least it appears to be the browser plugin causing the crash and issues. I'll continue playing with it on my own from here I guess? Pretty sure it is like beating a dead horse at this point. Any other suggestions would be appreciated if you think of anything else I should try out.

Thanks again for all the help guys

Regards
fxaddict

Wolfman

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:42:20 pm

Hi,

did you ty the Nvidia PPA???:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

fxaddict

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:56:47 pm

Yeah Wolfman, I did that within a couple days of installing Zorin after browsing the forum. I really am starting to think that it is something to do with my hardware. I had this issue with every OS I tried. At first I thought it was just flash with Linux but it does it in Win7 as well. The only thing that seemed to work was using gnash with the shockwave plugin disabled in firefox. The problem there is that some videos won't play.
I am at a loss at this point. When I can afford it, I will grab some larger memory and see if that helps I guess?

I have to say, this is by far and away the most helpful forum i have been on. You guys are great. When I tried Mint a while back I couldn't even get a reply, much less any real help.

Regards
Fxaddict

fxaddict

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:35:47 pm

First I've heard of that swarfendor, I'll look it up and give it a try. Maybe I'll have the same good fortune. It's a real shame that linux users have to jump through so many hoops over one little thing.

fxaddict

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:45:43 pm

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that may have done the trick!!!!! Watched over an hour of vids and only one crash and the system didn't go with it.

Thanks for that suggestion Swarfendor437!!