This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

UI completey gone

rbhebron

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:18:31 am

hello...

my zorin 6 64bit.... suddenly dont have a UI... there is no start button or anything on the screen..
it does load normally but i get an error saying that my compiz is not loading properly... i tried to load thru recovery mode but non of the options worked... could someone please provide help..? how do i recover my UI..?

Wolfman

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:25:51 am

Hi,

did you try running "dpkg" in recovery mode, please see this link and the section about "Broken Files":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

rbhebron

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53:21 am

hello wolfman...

have done the dpkg on the recovery mode... it did a lot of stuffs and it said that my system is up to date...
until it said resume normal boot... but the same thing... no UI on the screen... i tried to right click on the
screen and it can change the desktop background and can go to the all settings.. but when i tried moving
the windows via trackpad... something weird happened... i does not respond immediately... its like a delayed
reaction to my movement, very slowly... bottom line... its still the same...

just a question, what if i re-install to a 32bit/GNOME2 just as what swarfendor437m suggested, what option
shud i take so that will it NOT erase all my files on the partition...? i already have several files on it and
haven't backed up yet.. or if i re-install with the 64bit, will the option be the same... ? at least now i know
that that the 64bit is a GNOME3 UI...

rbhebron

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53:25 pm

hello swarfendor437...

thanks for your kind info... appreciate it..

i really dont want to re-install the OS if there is a way to restore the compiz apps.. ithink this is the culprit... not sure though.. so if there is way to do this, will be very helpful...

i also notice some of the windows key+ keyboard combination does not work on ZORIN 6 anymore..

while i was using ZORIN 4 UI,.
windows+W - shows you all windows what's on the workspace
windows+A - shows you all windows opened regardless of workspace
windows+E - shows you all available workspaces & you can drag contents from one workspace to another
windows+S - show you logout/suspend/shutdown options
windows+D - minimizes all on the workspace
windows+Z - lets you peek at the next window
windows+N - inverts the colour of the screen
windows+M - shows you mail options

while on ZORIN 6 UI..
windows+S - shows you all available workspaces & you can drag contents from one workspace to another
nothing else... this is really very sad... those windows+ keyboard combi/shortcuts are really very useful...

although if you press
windows+1...9 - it will open whats on your start bar in sequence... example: if your first shortcut is chrome, windows+ 1 opens the chrome web browser
if your second shortcut on the panel is file manager, press windows+ 2, if the third shortcut on the panel is rhythm box, press windows+3... etc.. this is new in ZORIN 6 UI